VDO clocks

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Frederick Adler
356 Fan

VDO clocks

#1 Post by Frederick Adler »

Well I have my "basket case" and with it half or more converted to 12 volt from 6 volt (There is nothing wrong with 6 volt but my car has the engine switched over to 12 so why not continue), I have the VDO clock (6 volt) in a box. It lights up when I hook a 6 volt flashlight battery to it and I push down the spring steel thermo breaker which was soldered to its contact. It even runs if I manually start it up and it runs for minutes connected to the battery with the light on. But they she stops. I have done this one over and over and it still stops. I have not resoldered the thermo breaker but I know the power is getting to it since it lights up. I oiled it with light oil and I watch the little watch works move and the time advance for a few minutes before it stops. SO, should I just sell this 6 volt relic to someone in need of it and get a new replica or what? Ideas?
Attachments
356, clock pictures 001.jpg
356, clock pictures 003.jpg
356, clock pictures 002.jpg

Russ Collins
356 Fan

Re: VDO clocks

#2 Post by Russ Collins »

Hi Fred,

6 Volts to the rear terminal provides power to the clock solenoid through the spring thermo breaker inside the clock. This thermo breaker should be re-soldered for it to work continuously as the solenoid resets the mechanical clock mechanism every few minutes. A low-melting point solder was used originally and regular solder may not melt. In this case a 5 amp in-line fuse should be added in the clock feed to prevent a fire should the solenoid short out. The light bulb isn't connected to the clock mechanism except through the case ground. When testing, be sure to connect the negative supply (ground) to the case, the positive supply to the rear connector, and the instrument lamp feed to the side connector. A resistor can be used in series with the clock to run it on 12 volts.
Russ

Frederick Adler
356 Fan

Re: VDO clocks

#3 Post by Frederick Adler »

Thanks Russ. I will try again with that great information.

Fred