Porsche Plaque

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Elton Chan
356 Fan

Porsche Plaque

#1 Post by Elton Chan »

Hi everyone, I'm new to this registry. I am currently looking at a 356 I wish to purchase and have a question.
Does anyone know if all Porsche 356 should have the aluminum plaque? Did some models not have this at all? I am looking at a 1959 356A that does not have the plaque. It only has the Numbers stamped on at certain areas of the body. Is this normal? Any info would help. Thanks!!

Elton

Charlie White
356 Fan

Re: Porsche Plaque

#2 Post by Charlie White »

This page from the 356-A factory owner's manual show the location of number plates and serial numbers.

CW
Attachments
A-BODYa.JPG
A-BODYa.JPG (25.36 KiB) Viewed 2342 times
Charlie White

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#3 Post by Adam Wright »

Many cars are missing the doorjamb plate, it is a common thing to get lost in a restoration. About every time I do a barn raid I pick up a couple, I have been able to re-unite a few over the years with the cars they came from. The ones I can't match up go on the walls of my office. You can order a reproduction and have it stamped to match the car. The important number is the one stamped in front of the gas tank.
Attachments
vins4.jpg
vin3.jpg
Vins2.jpg
Vins1.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

#4 Post by Barry Brisco »

Hello Elton,

As others have stated, the chassis number plaque that is visible when the drivers door is open is sometimes lost over the years. I believe that all '59 model year 356s had them when new. Here is a photo of the one on my '59 coupe:
See this article for information about where the chassis number is shown on the car:
http://porsche356registry.org/resources ... tions.html

If you are new to 356s, I highly recommend buying Brett Johnson's invaluable book "The 356 Porsche, A Restorer's Guide to Authenticity, Rev. III", at http://www.tpr-inc.com/products/singlei ... mber=75816 and also "Buying, Driving, and Enjoying the Porsche 356" by Jim Schrager http://www.amazon.com/Buying-Driving-En ... 242&sr=1-1

Good luck,
Barry Brisco
1959 356A Coupe 105553, Ivory / Brown
2009 987 Cayman, Carrera White / Beige (daily driver)

Elton Chan
356 Fan

#5 Post by Elton Chan »

Thanks for all the input guys! I can imagine the plaque inside the drivers door being lost during a restoration (repaint) but why would the aluminum plaque in the trunk be removed and lost that easily? I will definitely purchase the book for reference. Thanks for the advice!

Elton Chan
356 Fan

#6 Post by Elton Chan »

Adam, I think I see the plaque I'm looking for hanging on your wall. LOL.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#7 Post by Adam Wright »

It's worth a try, what's the #? I have a whole barrel more that have not made it the wall yet.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Dan Macdonald
356 Fan

#8 Post by Dan Macdonald »

Elton Chan wrote:Hi everyone, I'm new to this registry. I am currently looking at a 356 I wish to purchase and have a question.
Does anyone know if all Porsche 356 should have the aluminum plaque? Did some models not have this at all? I am looking at a 1959 356A that does not have the plaque. It only has the Numbers stamped on at certain areas of the body. Is this normal? Any info would help. Thanks!!

Elton
Elton,
Open the hood and look inside the front compartment. On the passenger side, next to the gas tank there should be TWO plaques. The larger build plate will be next to the side of the gas tank and there should be another plaque next to it that says "Modell 1959 Made in Western Germany." All (never say "all") '59's have this plaque, even Conv. D's.

Check out: http://porsche356registry.org/resources ... years.html
Dan Macdonald 
'59 A Coupe (105327) 
'57 Speedster (82954) 
Registry #1921 (1982) 
DMAIA@aol.com
My YouTube Channel: Tinmeister 356