Steering coupling

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Omar Almada
356 Fan

Steering coupling

#1 Post by Omar Almada »

Yesterday replaced the steering coupling on my 56 speedster with a NLA kit wich is rubber made, noticed that the original was made out of 3 layers of heavy "cloth" . is this part still available ?

Thanks
53cabrio+56speedster

tyler carlson
356 Fan

Re: Steering coupling

#2 Post by tyler carlson »

Hi Omar-The steering coupler puck you describe is what is available and has somewhat of a quality issue. I have seen pucks with 6 or more layers of 'cloth'. This also brings up a safety issue-how safe is your old coupler puck? The original puck piece was laminated with a loose-mesh canvas material for strength and safety. The piece was located in an area not a readily inspected and often overlooked. The purpose of the coupler puck was to absorb road vibrations felt at the steering wheel-if not for that it would have been made out of steel etc-or the steering shaft would hook up directly to the steering box! It also to a degree softened the steering action. The original rubber pieces crumbled after years of flex/vibration/use and chemicals added to their deteriation. In extreme cases the laminated cloth layers have been found to be the only thing holding the crumbling pieces together! If you can grab your steering wheel and pull it in and out-slightly-1/8" -you may have a problem with your coupler puck. The new coupler puck you have is probably a superior new tech rubber which will last many years longer than the original. The new coupler puck will probably not give the soft feel at the wheel-more noticeable if you are running bias-ply tires on the earlier 356's. Also as most of us use radial tires now-much of this road vibration is gone. As early as your car is i believe the puck is the same as the vw and an nos/oem original could be found.

Pat Daily
356 Fan

#3 Post by Pat Daily »

About two years ago I had the steering coupler replaced on my B coupe. The work was done by the local Porsche dealer. Shortly after I picked the car up I noticed that I could pull the steering wheel towards me by a half inch or more. I took it back and they discovered they had installed a cheap replacement (for VW's maybe?)-- they ordered the appropriate coupler from Porsche and replaced it and everything with the steering was fine. Be aware some of the replacement couplers are not worth buying.
Pat Daily
Midlothian, VA
356B coupe (121123 aka "Fast Frieda") 

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#4 Post by Wes Bender »

On the issue of Safety vs. Originality, I'll take Safety every time.....

(And, no, the two are not necessarily synonymous.)

Cheers,
Wes
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

tyler carlson
356 Fan

#5 Post by tyler carlson »

Pat/Wes-thanks-you're on target! Although Omar had concerns over an inferior part-I saw an opportunity to turn it into a safety issue-glad you guys and possibly other readers will see it too! Lots of online replacement parts are a real disappointment-and safety concern.

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#6 Post by Brad Ripley »

Please let us know where and when you find a currently produced part with the cloth reinforcement you describe.

tyler carlson
356 Fan

#7 Post by tyler carlson »

I don't think you will Brad! About 10 years ago i got some n.o.s. pieces out of Brazil-the rubber was already crumbling. The original laminated rubber puck has been replaced by a high tech 'rubber/plastic'(something close to it anyway) which is supposedly stronger/longer lasting. There is a really cheap one out there(they are so soft they feel like silicone!) that probably was put on Pat's car-it didn't take long for him to figure it out either! We all seem to be in agreement-to those offering replacement parts out there-make the parts as good or better than the original-even if it means the end cost is more. There is nothing more embarassing for the 356 mechanic or restoration service than to put inferior parts on a car because that is all that is available.

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: SF Giants Fan

#8 Post by Jim Breazeale »

Pat Daily wrote:About two years ago I had the steering coupler replaced on my B coupe. The work was done by the local Porsche dealer. Shortly after I picked the car up I noticed that I could pull the steering wheel towards me by a half inch or more. I took it back and they discovered they had installed a cheap replacement (for VW's maybe?)-- they ordered the appropriate coupler from Porsche and replaced it and everything with the steering was fine. Be aware some of the replacement couplers are not worth buying.
Pat

Your problem sounds like it was caused by a poor installation, not an inferior part. By the way, the "good quality, original" coupler was a VW part! I don't care how crappy the coupler is or whether it is reinforced with cloth or canvas or sold by Porsche or whoever, one should not be able to move your steering wheel in and out at all. Leave 1 nut loose and you will get the movement you describe, though.
Note: Porsche did design a new coupler for the 356Cs. Now there is a dangerous, poorly designed, piece of junk!
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com
www.facebook.com/pages/European-Auto-Salvage-Yard-EASY/120458108029410

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor

#9 Post by Jim Breazeale »

Do you think it would be a good idea to replace this coupler. I removed this wonderful part from a 356B years ago.
Attachments
IMG_0716.jpg
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#10 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Didn't come apart, did it? :D
What year did VW/Porsche finally run out of WWII army truck tires? :?:
Weren't the couplers made from the sidewalls? :P

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor

#11 Post by Jim Breazeale »

vic skirmants wrote:Didn't come apart, did it? :D
What year did VW/Porsche finally run out of WWII army truck tires? :?:
Weren't the couplers made from the sidewalls? :P
Vic

You are right. It did not come apart and was in use until the day I took it out of the car. It probably could go for a few more years.

Regards
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com