What was the correct color for a Pre A muffler?

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Doug Naef
356 Fan

What was the correct color for a Pre A muffler?

#1 Post by Doug Naef »

Does anyone know what color mufflers were from vendor that supplied mufflers on Pre A cars? Specifically a late '52 production car that is a '53 model year. I was going to have it ceramic coated and wanted to have the correct color. Thank you for your expertise. Doug

Ray Knight
356 Fan

Re: What was the correct color for a Pre A muffler?

#2 Post by Ray Knight »

I am unaware of anyone who has had access to original unused preA muffler. So you are largely left judging color by old factory picture. Later muffler were a relatively light gray, a color we all are used to. I scanned as many published period (preA) factory pictures as I could and came to the conclusion they were a medium darker gray. That is what I used restoring the Sauter roadster. I don't know if anybody has any valid newer answer to the one I came up with in the mid 80s. Ray Knight

tyler carlson
356 Fan

#3 Post by tyler carlson »

I'm going to go with the grey color Ray mentioned as all mine have been a soft-burnt-sienna color(the color of rust)!

Doug Naef
356 Fan

#4 Post by Doug Naef »

Turns out with my ceramic coating options are a little limited with my local vendor as most have a chromium lcast to them even when darker in color. They have one called raw metal or raw steel that looks more believeable with no chromium cast to it. $150 to ceramic coat didnt seem to bad.

tyler carlson
356 Fan

#5 Post by tyler carlson »

The biggest demise of the stock muffler has got to be the car sitting around for years. Rust on the outside is usually minimal-its what is eating its way out is the problem! At several hundred dollars we pay for these mufflers the solution is simple-drive your car!