Replacement rocker panel "C"

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
John Weyand
356 Fan

Replacement rocker panel "C"

#1 Post by John Weyand »

The replacement rocker panels purchased from Stoddards have two irregularities in the bottom edge. About one or two inches forward of the torsion bar hole is the first and the second is forward at about the midpoint of the panel. Both are about one or two inches in length and are simply where the edge of the panel is left nearly straight and not turned under (as is the remainder of the panel). The question is simply--should this be hammered to conform the the rest of the edge of this panel? It would appear that this is how the panel is "punched" using these two locations to hold or reference the panel. I have looked at lots of pictures but there is not a "C" (that I'm aware of) nearby to examine personally--I live in a very rural area of southeastern Ohio and in the next day or two would like to weld this and the longitudinal into place.
John W
'64 "C" coupe

Jack Staggs
356 Fan

Re: Replacement rocker panel "C"

#2 Post by Jack Staggs »

Those allow water to drain.

Bruce Baker
356 Fan

#3 Post by Bruce Baker »

The repro rockers often have a more obvious drain form than the originals, so some rework may be needed to make that more subtle, less noticeable.

Be happy the horizontal curve is formed on the newer examples. They were straight on the early repro examples! Repro sheetmetal has come a long way.

John Weyand
356 Fan

#4 Post by John Weyand »

Yes, most of the pieces I have installed so far have fit rather well, Only a minimum of shaping has been needed. My concern about this panel was caused by the appearance of the old panel. The rockers that I removed had no such "dip" but were uniform along the entire bottom edge. Thanks for the tip!!
John W
'64 "C" coupe