carpet question

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
john fletcher
356 Fan

carpet question

#1 Post by john fletcher »

My son has a 356C which came from Tennersee originally and it is now here in the UK and is being restored.
The carpets in the car are original and in threads in places. The interesting point is that the carpet weave is noticeably finer / tighter than the ones in my A or indeed in any other I have examined closely.
A bit of research in Germany showed that this sort of haargran boucle is available in "gross" or "fein". The question I have for the experts is "which is correct?"
It would appear that gross is used by most people and is 6 rows to the inch whereas the fein is 7.75 rows per inch.

John

Charlie White
356 Fan

Re: carpet question

#2 Post by Charlie White »

Here is an image of the carpet samples in the factory 356 C/SC Paint Colors and Carpet Sample Book. The samples are 2 centimeters wide.

CW
Attachments
356CCarpet.jpg
Charlie White

john fletcher
356 Fan

#3 Post by john fletcher »

Thanks for prompt response Charlie. I reckon there are 6 rows on your 2cm samples therefore our measuremnt of 7.75 rows /inch is correct. I take it you actually have the card and not a catalogue sheet! Could I ask you if you have the same sort of card for the T2 A? We are both about to order carpet sets from a German supplier who offers both types of weave so we might as well get the right stuff. Surprisingly the representative I spoke with was adamant that the boucle gross was correct for all Porsche and the fein was only for certain Mercedes!
I have not seen this issue mentioned on any of the top upholstery supplier's web-sites.

John

Charlie White
356 Fan

#4 Post by Charlie White »

Sorry, John, don't have the T2 A card.

CW
Charlie White

roy mawbey
356 Fan

#5 Post by roy mawbey »

John,

I found a very good untouched area of my original 59 carpet and measured it. There are 6 full threads per linier inch, so it must be the "gross" version weave.

Roy
ROY ALAN MAWBEY