pre a deep sump

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
mats carlsson
356 Fan

pre a deep sump

#1 Post by mats carlsson »

hi,
does anybody have some good pictures of the round deep sump for a 2-piece case engine?

very best regards from
Attachments
deep sump small.JPG
mats carlsson

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

Re: pre a deep sump

#2 Post by Jim Liberty »

I found one of these for my 1952. The pick-up needs to be lengthened, and I put an early VW oil sump screen at the bottom with the pick-up pipe running through the hole in the screen. This allows a five qt. capicity on this two piece case motor.

I attempted to add a picture but the system says the file is too big. Barry, what am I doing wrong.

.....................................Jim.
Jim Liberty

mats carlsson
356 Fan

#3 Post by mats carlsson »

Jim Liberty wrote:I found one of these for my 1952. The pick-up needs to be lengthened, and I put an early VW oil sump screen at the bottom with the pick-up pipe running through the hole in the screen. This allows a five qt. capicity on this two piece case motor.

I attempted to add a picture but the system says the file is too big. Barry, what am I doing wrong.

.....................................Jim.
Jim, if you want you can send the picture directly to me, matscarlsson.st@telia.com.

very best regards from
mats carlsson
mats carlsson

Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

#4 Post by Barry Brisco »

Jim Liberty wrote:I attempted to add a picture but the system says the file is too big. Barry, what am I doing wrong.
Jim, the image file you are trying to upload is over 1 megabyte. You need to reduce the file size. Google "photo file size reducers" and you will find lots of ways to do that.

Barry

mats carlsson
356 Fan

#5 Post by mats carlsson »

mats carlsson

Eric Meyer
356 Fan
Location: California's Central Coast, not quite New Zealand... but close

#6 Post by Eric Meyer »

There is a large internal steel pick-up tube baffle that goes inside these round sumps. It's overall diameter at the bottom is almost as wide as the entire sump. I'd shoot a photo... except that it is in a sump on a running motor. It attaches in the sump via two studs on either side of the opening at the top of the sump. Below is a shot of my Joe Ruiz built shortblock (from that "theSamba" thread mentioned just above) showing one of these round sumps. I also have one which has been altered to fit a 3 piece 356 case.

Eric Meyer
356 Fan

#7 Post by Eric Meyer »

I dug out the other Gmund racer sump baffle... here are the shots. Please note that in the first picture... the sump baffle is upside down in the sump... it is supposed to go exactly upside down from what this photo shows. Sorry for this confusing view. Those two studs bolt to the TOP of the sump... oil drains down over this sheet metal baffle... to the outer edges of the sump... where it then travels along the bottom of the sump to the pick up tube in the center. Odd how there are oil drain holes that have been welded back up on this gizmo... as though some experimentation was being done.

Eric Meyer
356 Fan

#8 Post by Eric Meyer »

more detail shots of sump and baffle... I imagine you could make one of these with a kitchen pan of the correct diameter. just cut the pot to the right height... use studs and spacers to mount it to the sump... and copper pipe for the pickup tube. Note the aluminum reinforcement around the pickup tube... riveted in place on the underside of the baffle( I suppose you could make this part pretty easily on a lathe).

here's one on a 1500 okrasa

here's a shot of the drain plug

bottom of pickup tube

top of pickup tube... extends into case

misc dimensions