Porsche automobilia trivia: the 356 models factory awards

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Thomas Seydoux
356 Fan

Porsche automobilia trivia: the 356 models factory awards

#1 Post by Thomas Seydoux »

Recently, I've been intrigued by the history of the 356 ceramic and silver plated 356 models awarded by the factory to drivers and employees.

My interest began a few years ago during the auction sale of the Herbert Linge collection: Several of these 356 models were offered at auction and obtained very high prices.

I've tried to do some research but realized that very little has been written about these awards, so I'm hoping that by addressing the topic here, more information will surface.

Here are the examples I've recorded so far:

1. Ivory ceramic model with bronze medal:

2. The Herbert Linge collection had one of these that sold for euros 2.600:

It seems that these were made in the late Fifties and early Sixties at the same time as the silver plated/metal ones. Were these the earliest models made? Some do not have the bronze medal, are they related and still considered as factory awards? Were they exclusively given to drivers or also to individuals who contributed to the Porsche brand?

3. Early silver plated/metal model:

This model is sometimes described as silver plated ceramic but I've only seen ones made in metal. The earlier ones show a 356A model (logical) and instead of having the inscription on the driver's door, a small inscribed plaque is welded onto the door.

Do we know how many of these exist? Does the factory have an inventory of to whom they gave these cars? Does someone own a silver plated ceramic model?

4. Two other early silver plated/metal models:

These were photographed at the Prototyp Museum in Hamburg. The second one may not have an inscription.

5. A model sold recently dated 1962 given to Porsche driver Gerhard Koch, signed by Ferry Porsche.

6. The Herbert Linge Collection had a later example of these (1963 championship, inscribed directly on the driver's door) which sold of an unbelievable 13.000 euros ($ 20.000):

7. Here is one sold at Christie's in 2002, described as silver plated ceramic:

It does not seem to be signed or inscribed, the catalogue entry stated: "It is believed that these models were given to prospective new customers awaiting delivery of their actual 356 car". Has this affirmation ever been confirmed?

The factory also awarded signed wooden plaques, cigarette silver boxes, cigar silver boxes, and even silver branch steering wheels. How do these models fit into the hierarchy? Were they only given to racing drivers? When did you receive a ceramic model instead of a silver plated one?

Thomas Seydoux
356 Fan

Re: Porsche automobilia trivia: the 356 models factory award

#2 Post by Thomas Seydoux »

Here is a ceramic model also sold at Ladenburg Auktion house a few years ago:

I would be very grateful for any additional information you could provide on these models.

stephen demosthenes
356 Fan

#3 Post by stephen demosthenes »

Tah dah!,
Hi Milou, Stephen Demosthenes here.
I have had a few of these. Unfortunately I sold 2, one a Spyder, and destroyed a Speedster making a mold from it.
I have had this one 15 - 20 years. Made by a fellow in Holland.
Excuse the dust..........
Attachments
HPIM4651.jpg
HPIM4645.jpg

stephen demosthenes
356 Fan

#4 Post by stephen demosthenes »

I can't believe the3 next post down is a Pre A almost the same color. Weird!

Stephen

Jon Bunin
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jon Bunin »

Otto Mathe was awarded a silver model by Ferry Porsche in 1954. Mathe then proceeded to make many plaster duplicates over the years.
Attachments
DSCN9091.JPG
Jon Bunin

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#6 Post by Vic Skirmants »

WOW! Where did you find that picture?
Looks like my shop.

Bob Forman
356 Fan

#7 Post by Bob Forman »

Wow! It looks like me in the early afternoon....wandering around the garage still wearing my jammies and bathrobe.
Bob Forman

Thomas Seydoux
356 Fan

#8 Post by Thomas Seydoux »

Thank you for posting, I love this picture. I never would have imagined Otto Mathe taking the time to make repros of his own award.
I saw several Otto Mathe racing cars at the Prototyp Museum in Hamburg, and they looked efficient but a bit rough. Performance seemed a priority over aesthetics and yet he took the time and had the interest in making these models....

Thomas Seydoux
356 Fan

#9 Post by Thomas Seydoux »

Went to the Porsche Museum and very kindly they found an image of Gerhard Koch receiving the silver car (1962, shown below) from Ferry Porsche (thank you again Dieter!).

They confirmed very few silver cars were made (less than a dozen apparently) and since they were meant to be given to drivers, none exist in the Museum collection today.

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: SF Giants Fan

#10 Post by Jim Breazeale »

The white model is finished just like my crest. I wonder if they were done by the same artist. My crest hung in a local Porsche dealership back in the 60s.
Attachments
IMG_3180.JPG
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com
www.facebook.com/pages/European-Auto-Salvage-Yard-EASY/120458108029410

Andrew Hosking
356 Fan

#11 Post by Andrew Hosking »

I bought this model from a flea market years ago - don't know anything about it, but it is almost identical shape to No1. Do you know if there were any cast scales of No1 done?

http://type550.com/

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#12 Post by Vic Skirmants »

I believe that was an item from India in reecent years.
Toy/model collectors can fill in the details.

Thomas Seydoux
356 Fan

#13 Post by Thomas Seydoux »

I believe the off white ceramic Porsche crest was sold in the Sixties by the factory alongside the 356 ceramic model. I haven't seen any in Europe so a pretty rare item I suspect.

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: SF Giants Fan

#14 Post by Jim Breazeale »

Milou wrote:I believe the off white ceramic Porsche crest was sold in the Sixties by the factory alongside the 356 ceramic model. I haven't seen any in Europe so a pretty rare item I suspect.
Thanks

I was thinking the same thing. The unique coloring of the pieces would suggest that they were made by the same manufacturer. Now, if I can just find a model to put next to my crest................

Regards
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com
www.facebook.com/pages/European-Auto-Salvage-Yard-EASY/120458108029410

Thomas Seydoux
356 Fan

#15 Post by Thomas Seydoux »

Here is a silver model offered at Bonhams' Quail Lodge sale this Summer. It carries an estimate of USD 30-40.000 (!):