KD engine number and P number

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Dan Mazur
356 Fan

KD engine number and P number

#1 Post by Dan Mazur »

This is related to a European delivery 65SC engine.
The third piece has a KD stamped in front of the P number. I understand this indicates a factory rebuild.
The case halves have matching three digit numbers, however the third piece does not have the three digit number stamped in the normal place.
Is this a replacement third piece? If yes, then did the factory restamp the P number on the third piece along with the KD?
Enquiring minds want to know....

Thanks in advance.
Dan
"I never leave Ann Arbor. The real world is too hard to face."

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

Re: KD engine number and P number

#2 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Are there numbers on the second through-bolt boss? Left side, assembly number, right side engine type number?

Dan Mazur
356 Fan

#3 Post by Dan Mazur »

Hi Vic,
I checked the castings in the location you indicated. the right side has 616/16 the left side is blank. Hmmm... now I'm really wondering about this.
Dan
"I never leave Ann Arbor. The real world is too hard to face."

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#4 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Short of checking the casting date; behind the cam gear on the rear web of the case; my theory is:
Original engine rebuilt at Porsche using a replacement case of the time period. They would stamp the original engine number, along with the "KD", and the engine type, 616/16. They would not stamp an assembly number. The case is from the time-frame when they finally got the timing covers to line up and all be interchangeable; therefore no matching number as on the two case halves.
OR: the timing cover is not original to that case. But I think the first scenario is most probable.