rear seat upholstery question

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

Re: rear seat upholstery question

#16 Post by Barry Brisco »

Here is a photo of the rear seat area of a T2 A coupe that belongs to a good friend of mine. Chassis number 106152, built in January 1959. It has been examined by several knowledgeable 356ers and they all believe the upholstery is original. As you can see, it has the vinyl piece that is being discussed here.

I am beginning to think that most if not all A coupes originally had this piece, but that it gets "lost" when the carpeting or upholstery is replaced.

Barry
Attachments
rearseat.jpg

roy mawbey
356 Fan

Re: rear seat upholstery question

#17 Post by roy mawbey »

Cliff,

I went out in the garage and checked the fibre flap. Well you are correct! The fibre flap does move as you push the rear upright of the seat back into its seating position but the fibre flap pushes against the bottom panel and swivels up on the hinge not backwards if you get my meaning. This leaves as you say a bump in the top carpet that goes towards the firewall and that area of carpet is not tacked so you can feel the fibre board up at an angle supporting the carpet.

I took a few photos one with the flap down and the seat upright down anfd one with the seat back in the upright position.

One final photo shows the hinge in more detail

Well done for noticing that.
seat1.jpg
seattwo.jpg
seatthree.jpg
Roy
RHD356Asuper75 106954
ROY ALAN MAWBEY