Weird Fuse Box cover

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: SF Giants Fan

Weird Fuse Box cover

#1 Post by Jim Breazeale »

Brett Johnson asked in the November?December 1992 issue of the Registry about a "clip-on" fuse box cover. Well, it has taken me 20 years to answer his request. I have the same type of cover in my 62 Cabriolet. It has 2 posts attached to the fuse box frame and the fuse box cover snaps over the ends of the pins. I have wondered about this for the whole time I have owned the car. I purchased the car as a total wreck from the original owner's family in 1979, repaired the damage and have just driven it since. Check out the pictures. I suspected that it was a factory installation. With more than one of these things out there, it was probably done at the factory. Does anybody else have one of these?
Attachments
IMG_0473.jpg
IMG_0472.jpg
IMG_0470.jpg
IMG_0469.jpg
Last edited by Jim Breazeale on Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com
www.facebook.com/pages/European-Auto-Salvage-Yard-EASY/120458108029410

Jack Staggs
356 Fan

Re: Weird Fuse Box cover

#2 Post by Jack Staggs »

Early '62 only. Thanks for posting the pix. They seemed to keep the fuse box studs a while longer than the side jack mounts.

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: SF Giants Fan

Re: Weird Fuse Box cover

#3 Post by Jim Breazeale »

Jack Staggs wrote:Early '62 only. Thanks for posting the pix. They seemed to keep the fuse box studs a while longer than the side jack mounts.
Jack

Those are my thoughts, too. Early 62 also saw jack clips on first 100 or so Cabriolets and Karmann Hardtops. The fibre fuse box covers all have the indents for the clips and all T6 plastic trunk liners have a place for the jack to hide under on the right side of the gas tank. The bean counters at Porsche must have seen early on that they could save a few cents per car by removing those 2 convienent features.

Regards

Jim
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com
www.facebook.com/pages/European-Auto-Salvage-Yard-EASY/120458108029410