alloy speedster seats

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
robert harms
356 Fan

alloy speedster seats

#1 Post by robert harms »

Hi---newbie here about forums and email, so plz have patience. I need to know where to look for the stamped vin number on my alloy speedster seats from a 1959 gs/gt speedster. No problem in tearing into the old upholstery as it was a poor re-upholstery job anyway. All the original padding, etc. is all there, but so far I've only torn into one seat a little bit. Thanks for any help you can give me----Bob

Michael Doyle
356 Fan

Re: alloy speedster seats

#2 Post by Michael Doyle »

pazzzo wrote:Hi---newbie here about forums and email, so plz have patience. I need to know where to look for the stamped vin number on my alloy speedster seats from a 1959 gs/gt speedster. No problem in tearing into the old upholstery as it was a poor re-upholstery job anyway. All the original padding, etc. is all there, but so far I've only torn into one seat a little bit. Thanks for any help you can give me----Bob
I don't know of any VIN numbers being "stamped" on Speedster seats, GS/GT, or otherwise. There may have been some with handwritten numbers using the last 3 of the VIN. -MD-

Bruce Baker
356 Fan

#3 Post by Bruce Baker »

Fool the experts.....stamp some in that don't belong to your GT, cross them off with a yellow crayon and boldly add the number OF your GT...and claim it was assembled at Drauz......

Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

#4 Post by Barry Brisco »

pazzzo wrote:I need to know where to look for the stamped vin number on my alloy speedster seats from a 1959 gs/gt speedster.
Hello Bob,

Welcome to 356Talk. I don't think you will find the last 3 digits of a Porsche chassis number on your seats. I was not aware that the factory stamped them on seats.

Best regards,
Barry Brisco
1959 356A Coupe 105553, Ivory / Brown
2009 987 Cayman, Carrera White / Beige (daily driver)

robert harms
356 Fan

#5 Post by robert harms »

Thanks for the quick responses---I was hoping to find some numbers so more or less I could "prove" where they came from. I've had them since 1960. Cute response about stamping them and crossing it out with yellow crayon---only you concours pros would think of that-----unfortunately I don't have the car, only the alloy hood and the seats, ignition key and California pinkslip. I'd like to have the seats and hood get back to the original car if something can be worked out. Bummer story---lesson learned--trust nobody. Wow,I think I can taste some sour grapes here---again thanks for the replies--I'm totally blown away by all this overwhelming stuff on the Registry website. What an amazing resource you people have created----unbelievable to me is the amount of growth since I was active in the 60's and 70's. Bob (ps) Thanks to the administrator for the tips on how to create, etc. on the website--this is a first for me---drag me into the 21st century--I'm almost sure I can learn how to do this stuff and also type better.

Bruce Baker
356 Fan

#6 Post by Bruce Baker »

Bob,

To explain (if even necessary, as you likely know this)...the seats of, dare I say 'any' 356, would not have been numbered for staying with the body during assembly because no special fitting was required, unlike many other body parts.

While 'on the line' during building the 356, occasionally parts would be numbered for one chassis and then damaged or swapped, thus the need for a 'correction' and usually a bold Teutonic crayon'd number resulted.

The Drauz reference: while building Convertible Ds, that subcontractor to Porsche must have had problems with fit and/or too many apprentices needing something to do, so many more parts were stamped with partial chassis-match numbers than done at Reutter (or later, Karmann). The windshield frames were numbered at both builders, but also bumpers and brackets, aluminum trim support pieces and many, many more than any other firm bothered with.

There is a great Convertible D(-specific) Registry website that you may find interesting and entertaining, too.

If you have the whole serial number for the GT chassis and those parts most likely numbered do match the last digits of the whole, the whereabouts of that 356 should not be difficult to determine in that 'small world.'

Rusty Ferrell
356 Fan

#7 Post by Rusty Ferrell »

As Bruce Baker stated regarding panel replacement, several years ago I purchased a C cab 159076, every replaceble panel including the hinge cover plates are stamped 021. Still curious as to why. Was a one owner car original Bali Blau. Crayon vin on inside of doors
very strange to me.
Best of health to all,
Rusty

Michael Doyle
356 Fan

#8 Post by Michael Doyle »

Rusty Ferrell wrote:As Bruce Baker stated regarding panel replacement, several years ago I purchased a C cab 159076, every replaceble panel including the hinge cover plates are stamped 021. Still curious as to why. Was a one owner car original Bali Blau. Crayon vin on inside of doors
very strange to me.
Best of health to all,
All the panels (ie. doors, hood, lid, dash, plates) are hand fitted and lead finished to the body. With that, no two completed chassis are alike. That's why the last 3 digits of the VIN are recorded on these panels. When they are removed for painting...by being marked, they don't get mixed up incorrectly. -MD-

Erik Thomas
356 Fan

#9 Post by Erik Thomas »

Bob:

While the seats are probably not marked, the hood would be. Check for the last 3 digits that should match your serial number on your old pink slip.

Bruce Baker
356 Fan

#10 Post by Bruce Baker »

Bruce Baker wrote: <snip>.............
If you have the whole serial number for the GT chassis and those parts most likely numbered (edited); "like the hood" do match the last digits of the whole, the whereabouts of that 356 should not be difficult to determine in that 'small world.'
I wonder how many ways there are to say this?