Any markings on a factory 356 T2 exhaust?

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

Any markings on a factory 356 T2 exhaust?

#1 Post by Barry Brisco »

Are there any markings on a factory 356 exhaust? I just blasted and repainted the exhaust which was on my 59 coupe when I bought it in 2005, and I do not see any markings. Below are some photos.

For paint I used Duplicolor high temp grey primer, which had been posted by a few people as a good match to the original color. Easy to use. Listed at the bottom of this page http://www.kpg-industrial.com/products/ ... h_ceramic/

Barry
Attachments
painted2.jpg
painted1.jpg
blasted1.jpg
blasted2.jpg

Paul Hatfield
356 Registry Member

Re: any markings on a factory 356 exhaust?

#2 Post by Paul Hatfield »

Glad you liked the color Barry! :D

Regards a stock muffler, there are a few things from memory.

One: The name is stamped into the muffler.
Two: The 616 part number is stamped in the muffler
Three: A very hard to see date stamp is on the end cap.
Paul Hatfield
"Miss April"
http://www.enginesinback.com

Paul Hatfield
356 Registry Member

#3 Post by Paul Hatfield »

I am not with my car now, but I did find a photo of the part number on the muffler. I also now recall it is on both sides of the muffler, but inside out on the passenger side. Hopefully you can see this shot of the drivers side on mine. This photo was taken after I had it blasted to bare metal and before paint.
Sorry, but I don't have a picture showing the other details I previously mentioned.
-Paul
Attachments
muffler crop (Large).jpg
Paul Hatfield
"Miss April"
http://www.enginesinback.com

Barry Brisco
356 Fan

#4 Post by Barry Brisco »

Paul, thanks for the info. In the 356A manual on page 51 there is a photo of an engine out of the car. However it's a small image and the angle is from slightly above, so the underside of the exit pipes is not shown. My exhaust looks like the one in the Owner's Manual photo but there are definitely no markings at all on my muffler. In fact it looks more like the Dansk exhaust shown on this page. So mine may not be the factory original.

I checked the Porsche PET file "E_356_59_KATALOG.pdf" and starting on page 130 it shows 4 different mufflers: none of which look like what I have. They either have straight pipes or S pipes with the two exit holes out of the muffler much closer together than mine.

I would appreciate it if those with an original T2 muffler could check to see if there are any markings stamped on it, and post some photos of theirs so I could compare it to mine.

The photo that Paul posted is of a T6 muffler, which I think is somewhat different from the T2 type.

Thanks,

Barry

Alan Hall
356 Fan

#5 Post by Alan Hall »

Barry,
I have what I think is an original T2 muffler on an engine which is stored under a bunch of boxes. I un-buried it enough to photograph some areas which differ from your muffler. Besides the insulated outer sheet metal wrap in the center it has an un-insulated wrap on the outer portions. It is a very sturdy muffler! I don't know for sure if it is an original T2 muffler, but it has been on that engine for at least 45 years.
Attachments
DSCN6580.JPG
DSCN6581.JPG
DSCN6582.JPG

Barry Brisco
356 Fan

#6 Post by Barry Brisco »

Thanks Alan. Could you find any markings on that muffler?

Barry

Alan Hall
356 Fan

#7 Post by Alan Hall »

Barry,
It's not real easy to access this muffler, but as near as I can tell there are no markings like manufacturer or part numbers or date codes on it.
Alan