NOS and reproduction Sametime

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Roy Lock
356 Fan

NOS and reproduction Sametime

#1 Post by Roy Lock »

Last night I looked on the classifieds and found a 912 crankshaft listed as NOS in the main topic but reproduction in the description.

Was there a reproduction 912 crank? Who makes these?

The manufacturers markings are not crisp and clear as they should be for a HKU crank.

I need a crank and need help determining the true origin of this crank before going further.

Is this a Chinese or Brazilian copy?
Roy Lock  
Registry #1704
356 Club of SoCal #0018
62 S90 Roadster "Ole Blu"
63 S90 Sunroof Coupe "Fritz"
70 Dodge Challenger T/A "Pinky" 

Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

Re: NOS and reproduction Sametime

#2 Post by Barry Brisco »

For reference, I believe Roy is referring to this ad titled "Crankshaft 356 SC 912 NOS":
http://porsche356registry.org/classifie ... 93&catid=2

The ad states:
Stamped HKU Germany 249/6
It is a reproduction from Germany.
This article "The Acronym Game: NOS, OEM, NIB" attempts to make some sense of the meaning of "NOS":
http://porsche356registry.org/resources ... m-nib.html
NOS: "New Old Stock" is generally accepted to mean parts produced during the initial production run (when the 356 was a "new" car, from 1949 to 1965) and that have never been used on a car, therefore they appear "new", or at least as new as a 50-year old part can look. They would certainly be "original" as well. This term can be used incorrectly when applied to new looking parts that were actually made after the 356 was out of production, but some would argue that any replacement 356 part sold by Porsche in unused condition can be called "NOS".
Best regards,
Barry Brisco
1959 356A Coupe 105553, Ivory / Brown
2009 987 Cayman, Carrera White / Beige (daily driver)

Jon Bunin
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jon Bunin »

Roy,

Original plain-bearing crankshafts for Porsche 356/912 were manufactured by ALFING KESSLER GmbH in Aalen, Germany.
Attachments
DSCN8900.JPG
Jon Bunin

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: SF Giants Fan

#4 Post by Jim Breazeale »

Roy

It is not "NOS" and I would not go so far as to say it is a "reproduction", either. That crank is made in Germany and I would describe it as a "replacement" crank. Jon may have another description of it, though. Jon Bunin, Alan Klingen and, Jack Staggs...your thoughts?

Regards
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com
www.facebook.com/pages/European-Auto-Salvage-Yard-EASY/120458108029410

Jon Bunin
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jon Bunin »

Jim,

I have no personal experience with HKU crankshafts. I think "replacement" or "aftermarket" are acceptable descriptions. It shouldn't be implied that these were ever "original" to a Porsche 356; I'm not aware that HKU was ever OE for any Porsche model. I'd be interested to hear Vic's opinion or experience, or Brad Ripley's knowledge of HKU.
Jon Bunin

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#6 Post by Brad Ripley »

Crank was sourced reportedly from Germany by two ex-pat Germany guys living in Calif, one was something like Kunkel and the other guy was Hans something --- I'm not making this up! Problem with the cranks was the width of con rod journals, usually too narrow. So they said grind a little off each side of the rod to make 'em fit! We had 50 or so of those on consignment and sold all of them eventually back in the late 70's.

Roy Lock
356 Fan

#7 Post by Roy Lock »

Thanks Brad for telling us the history of the HKU cranks. I'm now enlightened.
Roy Lock  
Registry #1704
356 Club of SoCal #0018

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: SF Giants Fan

#8 Post by Jim Breazeale »

Jon Bunin wrote:Jim,

I have no personal experience with HKU crankshafts. I think "replacement" or "aftermarket" are acceptable descriptions. It shouldn't be implied that these were ever "original" to a Porsche 356; I'm not aware that HKU was ever OE for any Porsche model. I'd be interested to hear Vic's opinion or experience, or Brad Ripley's knowledge of HKU.
Jon

I did not mean to imply that it was "OE", just that it was made to replace an original crank. In my mind, a "reproduction" crank would have all the original markings, including "Made in Germany", except it is made in China.

Regards
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com
www.facebook.com/pages/European-Auto-Salvage-Yard-EASY/120458108029410

Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

#9 Post by Barry Brisco »

The seller of the part at http://porsche356registry.org/classifie ... 93&catid=2 has stated "New old stock means that the original manufacturer is no longer producing them."

"NOS" does not mean "the original manufacturer is no longer producing them". It means the part was produced during the initial production run (when the 356 was a "new" car, from 1949 to 1965) and has not been used on a car, so that it appears "new", or at least as new as a 50-year old part can look. This term can be used incorrectly when applied to new looking parts that were actually made after the 356 was out of production, sometimes decades after.

Barry

Jack Staggs
356 Fan

#10 Post by Jack Staggs »

Brad, weren't those the cranks that were allegedly made in Brazil, with the machining done in Germany? If so, I suspected they were CAST, not forged.

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#11 Post by Brad Ripley »

Jack, No, I believe that was another effort, maybe Valley Core earlier.

How to tell a casting from a forging or any part, not just a crank:

A casting will have a very thin parting line.
A forging will have a wide parting line.

See U-tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfZds5VP ... re=related

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#12 Post by Wes Bender »

Brad, I haven't heard the name, "Valley Core", for years. Those guys rebuilt an engine for me in 1965 because, of all things, a broken crank. Seemed to have a done a respectable job of it. Whatever happened to them?

Agree with Barry on the NOS interpretation. No way does it simply imply that the original manufacturer no longer makes them. Damned near everything would be NOS!

Cheers,
Wes
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Roy Lock
356 Fan

#13 Post by Roy Lock »

For what ever reasons, we hold "NOS" parts in higher regard than OEM parts. There maybe a bit of truth to that, but "NOS" comes at a premium in value.

If I was less than ethical as a seller, I would loosen the terminology to include other parts not as defined by Barry Brisco's interpretation.

Also, how do we know that OEM parts are manufactured to the same standards as factory NOS parts?

In the case of cranks, for instance, how do we know if the cranks have the same/better heat treatment or stress relief as NOS parts? We don't yet we could potentially be paying the premium for a loose interpretation of NOS.

This does not include reproduced parts. Those are made to some standard too. But we are not paying the NOS label premium.
Roy Lock  
Registry #1704
356 Club of SoCal #0018