Door threshold discovery

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Paul Rui
356 Fan

Door threshold discovery

#1 Post by Paul Rui »

...Here is something that might interest you!

I have finally been fortunate enough to dismantle an original and unmolested car.
This is actually the first time this has happen, as other cars have either been restored by others or been in pieces.
Also, I have only been doing early Pre-As up to this point, and the car in question is a ´58A.

So here goes...today I removed the aluminum threshold trim and the carpet, only to discover a fine webbing...or maybe a fine woven canvas like material...originally treated with wax by the look of it. It could be the same canvas as used in the seats. Anyway, this material covered about one inch of the threshold before being tucked under where the rubber seal is. It looked pretty original to me.

So the question is, have anyone else seen this as well?

Paul
Paul Rui

Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

Re: Door threshold discovery

#2 Post by Barry Brisco »

Paul, a photo would be helpful.

Thanks,

Barry

Chuck House
Registry Hall of Fame

#3 Post by Chuck House »

This photo only shows a small portion of the fabric and it's dirty, but you can clearly see it. Originally, the carpet did not go very far under the aluminum threshold strip so the fabric webbing was there as a cushion for the strip. This photo is from a late '58 production unrestored ConvD.
Attachments
1007 008.jpg
Chuck House
Southern California

Alan Hall
356 Fan

#4 Post by Alan Hall »

My '59 Cabriolet had the waxed fabric also. I don't remember for sure, but I thought it was wrapped around the "U" shaped piece and then folded over the threshold edge and under the carpet. I assumed it was there for preventing water from getting behind the "U" shaped piece and from getting under the carpet. The wax on the material had the consistency of beeswax.

Alan

Matthew Devereux
356 Fan

#5 Post by Matthew Devereux »

Could it be a jute backing?
Matthew Devereux
'00 Boxster S
'58 356A coupe

Bruce Baker
356 Fan

#6 Post by Bruce Baker »

It was a muslin strip to aid in location and adhesion. It was used all over over many years of 356s, at least A/B and if I'm remebering correctly, through the C. It's around headliner edges, on posts...some seemed 'waxy' and some were glued. There are pictures in the shop manuals, but I am not with those now to check where in the body section pictures of which books.

I DO know that if an original car has the carpet edge strip removed and you sit on the threshold for any reason, you get up with that stuff stuck to your butt!

(editing: The B shop manual mentions the cloth gluing strips in the Body section, 23/24/25BO, but not the threshold 'waxy' treatment, but it was definitely SOP.)

Chuck House
Registry Hall of Fame

#7 Post by Chuck House »

Bruce,

You're right about similar material being used in lots of places but the stuff on the threshold seems a lot thicker. Below is a photo of the lighter material which was under the dash vinyl on the ConvD I mentioned and was used to help for adhesion of the vinyl as you indicate.
Attachments
0810 037.jpg
0810 034.jpg
Chuck House
Southern California

Chuck House
Registry Hall of Fame

#8 Post by Chuck House »

I will add that I think perhaps the primary reason for that thick fabric at the threshold (which was waxed) was probably an additional water seal so as water worked its way in the threshold, that waxy seal under the aluminum threshold strip was a final barrier to prevent the carpet from getting wet.
Last edited by Chuck House on Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck House
Southern California

Bruce Baker
356 Fan

#9 Post by Bruce Baker »

Chuck House wrote:I will add that I think perhaps the primary reason for that thick fabric at the threshold (which was waxed) was probably an additional water seal so as water worked its way in the threshold, that waxy seal under the aluminum threshold strip was a final barrier to prevent the carpet from getting wet.
Chuck, that's a very viable theory and it's a shame it's not common knowledge or mentioned in the literature.

'In my day' I have pulled a lot of that sticky stuff ('wax-like,' but most wax is not sticky for 50 years) off many thresholds, but never replaced it going back together. I have re-restored 356s done by other shops and individuals and not seen ANY recreation of that 'technique' after the 'original' is removed.

(Ahhhh, the Concours ultimate tie-breaker if two 299.9 356s go head-to-head at a serious event!)

I will add that most of the muslin gluing strips are dried and fragile when exposed...and I have never seen evidence of a trimmer replacing that material on any redone 356, either.

Chuck House
Registry Hall of Fame

#10 Post by Chuck House »

Bruce,

You're right, no one puts that waxy seal back after a total restoration. But then, most restored cars don't see the kind of rain/weather that these cars saw in Europe or back east when they were just "cars" :)
Chuck House
Southern California

Mike Smith
356 Fan
Tag: Its Only for Fun

#11 Post by Mike Smith »

Paul,

The material you describe was certainly on my `C` Coupe when I stripped it down - (131 899)

Bruce and Chuck are, of course correct about all the raw edges on a 356 body being covered with a thin cotton tape but, as also been stated, this threshold tape is a different material and was impregnated with a sort of greasy wax

In the UK we used to protect Steel Gas Mains when they were laid underground with a very, very similar material - the trade name was Denso and was available in 2”, 4” and 8” wide Rolls

The tape on the 356 was wrapped over the raw edges of the Inner and Outer Longitudinals and as Chuck says it was presumably there as a water barrier

Unfortunately it is never shown on those nice little Step and Sill illustrations that appear in some Suppliers Catalogues

We DO fit when restoring a 356 in the UK – its a little wetter here
Mike Smith (Essex - UK)

Paul Rui
356 Fan

#12 Post by Paul Rui »

Hey guys,

Thank you so much to you all for taking the time to tell about your experiences.
I guess I have to assume that my 1950 also had this.

Paul
Paul Rui