Oil Breather Hose - 356C

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Charlie White
356 Fan

Re: Oil Breather Hose - 356C

#46 Post by Charlie White »

"You can take what Jim says to the bank! Just one problem here is the 'over-examining' of factory literature and manuals and taking it too 'literally'. It is well known that porsche 'air-brushed' many of the pictures to keep things current."

I agree with your first sentence. But what about the text in factory literature, parts books and workshop manuals for example? Did they air-brush that too? Fifty year old memories and testimonials by other than original owners don't cut it! If you're going to say something in the factory books is wrong, and there are errors, then you have to prove it with something more than memories and assertions.

CW
Charlie White

tyler carlson
356 Fan

#47 Post by tyler carlson »

I concur with you Charlie to a point. Go back and read my post-I do not say anything is wrong with a particular manual or there is an error in a particular piece of literature! Testimonials-memories are different than first hand accounts. I have also talked with original owners of cars that didn't get it right-not even close. Too many times we rely on the 'paper trail' that is sales literature-a shop manual-or owner manual to make a point. Years ago very few were concerned about which loop held the gylcerin bottle in the glove box door(sample)-most didn't know what it was or that it existed! It just wasn't important.....then. Now there seems to be a sub-conscience effort by most owners to get it right. In all areas of restoration and all the minutia that entails. Sometimes as in every 'constantly evolving hobby' the pooling of information from many sources must come into play. If it wasn't for enthusiasts like yourself in the hobby-we would still be 30 years away from getting it right!

Alan Klingen
356 Fan

#48 Post by Alan Klingen »

The Euro breather hose on the Euro heater motors exited the oil filler and then turned downward through a "Y" shaped holder through a grommet, which was welded onto the air out let duct and then to a metal pipe welded to the tin that surrounded the dip stick tube. The tube itself was a ribbed plastic hose that looked like the black paper ones used on VW motor of the day, it was about 25mm.

Alan

tyler carlson
356 Fan

#49 Post by tyler carlson »

Alan could you post a picture? I know that model is different but have never paid attention to the breather hose. The 'snout' coming out of the fan shroud always freaked me out but I could see it probably pumped the heat into the car!

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#50 Post by Brad Ripley »

Here's a photo from a post on Pelican of a 356C which the guy (gileadgarage in Vermont) calls a '63 356C but lists no chassis number. Breather hose is braided rubber, not molded plastic.

Other notes:
BP oil hang tag
coil wire curled
coil bracket under oil filter bracket
original black coil with spade connectors
silver Fram oil canister
oil cap the "OEL" large knurled edge
gen. term. boots
"small" volt reg. with black cover
smooth sound deadening
Attachments
Breather hose 356C.jpg

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#51 Post by Jim Nelson »

Alan Klingen wrote:The Euro breather hose on the Euro heater motors exited the oil filler and then turned downward through a "Y" shaped holder through a grommet, which was welded onto the air out let duct and then to a metal pipe welded to the tin that surrounded the dip stick tube. The tube itself was a ribbed plastic hose that looked like the black paper ones used on VW motor of the day, it was about 25mm.

Alan
(for Tyler) The bracket looks like this:

I can't vouch for the hose's originality, or the clamp (which I think is probably not original), but I have a tremendous amount of data on the car, and there is no mention of replacing the breather hose itself.
(Note: This is a T6 B S-90)

Jonathan Halpern
356 Fan
Tag: 1964 356C built 7/16/63 1987 911 Carrera

#52 Post by Jonathan Halpern »

While on the topic of originality and hoses from the oil filler- how about this- 356C built on 7/16/63, engine 730001, chassis 126004 with a flip top oil filler. Under lid tag says 356B with the correct ID # stamped. Original oil filler or not? It would be an odd piece to change out unless a hard rear end collision, car never had a rear collision as verified by the ID # on the rear lid... any thoughts?

Jonathan

Charlie White
356 Fan

#53 Post by Charlie White »

"Under lid tag says 356B with the correct ID # stamped."

Please elaborate/explain more what you mean by above. Don't understand.

CW
Charlie White

Jonathan Halpern
356 Fan

#54 Post by Jonathan Halpern »

The ID tag that is riveted to the trunk, just above the battery box area, to the left of the spare tire, says 356B as the model # and 126004 as ther identification #. Also, 126004 is stamped into the metal just behind the spare tire.

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: SF Giants Fan

#55 Post by Jim Breazeale »

jim nelson wrote:
Alan Klingen wrote:The Euro breather hose on the Euro heater motors exited the oil filler and then turned downward through a "Y" shaped holder through a grommet, which was welded onto the air out let duct and then to a metal pipe welded to the tin that surrounded the dip stick tube. The tube itself was a ribbed plastic hose that looked like the black paper ones used on VW motor of the day, it was about 25mm.

Alan
(for Tyler) The bracket looks like this:

I can't vouch for the hose's originality, or the clamp (which I think is probably not original), but I have a tremendous amount of data on the car, and there is no mention of replacing the breather hose itself.
(Note: This is a T6 B S-90)
Jim

I think the hose material is correct but has been replaced. The clamp has been replaced for sure.

Regards
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com
www.facebook.com/pages/European-Auto-Salvage-Yard-EASY/120458108029410

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: SF Giants Fan

#56 Post by Jim Breazeale »

Jonathan Halpern wrote:While on the topic of originality and hoses from the oil filler- how about this- 356C built on 7/16/63, engine 730001, chassis 126004 with a flip top oil filler. Under lid tag says 356B with the correct ID # stamped. Original oil filler or not? It would be an odd piece to change out unless a hard rear end collision, car never had a rear collision as verified by the ID # on the rear lid... any thoughts?

Jonathan
Jonathan

You have the serial #1 356C engine. I'm not surprised it has a B fliptop oil filler. Does your car have the extra piece of dash that surrounds the ashtray? Your car is an anomaly and a neat one at that.

Regards
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com
www.facebook.com/pages/European-Auto-Salvage-Yard-EASY/120458108029410

Charlie White
356 Fan

#57 Post by Charlie White »

Also, does it have the black or chrome metal hand grip on the right side of the dash?

CW
Charlie White

Jonathan Halpern
356 Fan

#58 Post by Jonathan Halpern »

Thanks, Jim. It is nice to have an oddity, it makes it feel more special somehow. Its born on date makes it day one of C production which aligns with engine #1 and id #4.

Charlie- the handle is plastic and nicely wrapped in green vinyl with stiching. Not sure if it original, however, original interior was green with cord inserts. I believe the interior was changed only once to the current black. They would not have done a green handle wrap at that time with the color change. Maybe aftermarket or maybe original....

Jonathan

Jonathan Halpern
356 Fan

#59 Post by Jonathan Halpern »

Sorry, Jim. Forgot to answer your question- yes, it has the usual C dash. The rearview mirror, I believe, is a B style. Other than that, I believe everything else is normal C gear. A friend of mine is an authenticity expert and the things that popped out to him were the oil filler and "courtesy handle" wrapped in what looks like original green leatherette.

Jonathan

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#60 Post by Jim Nelson »

If it's a 730xxx, is it a "Euro" heater system? (as opposed to the 710xxx, "US" engines...)