Oil Breather Hose - 356C

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Paul Hatfield
356 Registry Member

Re: Oil Breather Hose - 356C

#16 Post by Paul Hatfield »

For reference, I dug out my braided hose and took a picture. Even took the photo next to my original braided fuel line (with the blue stripe). At least this way we have a reference as to the piece in question.
And, yes, right now my car is sporting a plastic ribbed hose that I bought from Jim!
Attachments
Hose & Crest 002 (Large).jpg
Paul Hatfield
"Miss April"
http://www.enginesinback.com

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: SF Giants Fan

#17 Post by Jim Breazeale »

Porsche has a history of using ribbed plastic vent hoses (presumably made by the same manufacturer) Here is a sample of hoses used in 912s from different years.
Attachments
IMG_0418.jpg
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com
www.facebook.com/pages/European-Auto-Salvage-Yard-EASY/120458108029410

Charlie White
356 Fan

#18 Post by Charlie White »

How about some original C/SC owners jump in here at tell is what they have and why they think it is original?

CW
Charlie White

Neil M. Fennessey
356 Fan

#19 Post by Neil M. Fennessey »

Jim Breazeale wrote:Illustration in 356C suppliment. This is taken from an original book.
IMG_0415.jpg
How many of you can spot all that is wrong with this illustration?

Regards
The tach drive gear?
Back to the Ivory Tower I go!
 - Neil
'67 912/356D (Ol' Blue)
'82 HP 34C

Bob Joyce
356 Fan

#20 Post by Bob Joyce »

The oil breather hose on my original-owner '65 SC is exactly like Jim's, though it's black...in Jim's picture it appears to be silver, though I suspect that's just the lighting.

Paul Hatfield
356 Registry Member

#21 Post by Paul Hatfield »

I am quite sure most all agree that the plastic ribbed hose was an original part. No disagreement here whatsoever.

There is also no doubt that there were a bunch of the braided hoses out there.

The question is: Were they ever originally placed there by the factory? Jim says "no".

Without an original owner or vintage picture to prove it, it's gonna be a tough argument.
Paul Hatfield
"Miss April"

Bob Kittel
356 Fan

never say never about Oil Breather Hose - 356C

#22 Post by Bob Kittel »

Jim Breazeale wrote:
John Thiele wrote:I'm know this example is hardly conclusive, but I'm curious if some cars might have come with braided rubber hoses. When I bought it, my 64 C came with it's original engine out of the car while running on a 912 engine. The original engine had been replaced - as I found out later - because it had broken a piston at 70K miles......everything on that engine, as was the rest of the car, looked liked it had never been altered....[/quote

I can say with confidence that no cars were delivered with braided hoses.

Regards
My 356 SC built in the fall of 1963 came with a braided rubber vent hose. This hose went from the oil breather canister to the right side air filter. It is still firmly attached to the requisite mounts.
Last edited by Bob Kittel on Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Kittel

Bob Kittel
356 Fan

Original 1964 SC Oil Breather Hose

#23 Post by Bob Kittel »

This is the hose that came with my 1964 SC delivered in Los Angeles, built in the fall of 1963. The pattern is somewhat of a chevron pattern and the braid is internal, sandwiched between rubber layers. You can see the braid sticking out the cut ends.
Attachments
vent hose.jpg
Last edited by Bob Kittel on Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Kittel

Jack Staggs
356 Fan

#24 Post by Jack Staggs »

I have seen the braided type hose on several original cars over the years, a mix of early C, both euro and export heater, altho the ribbed tube is by far the most common. The braided hose is very thick walled (4mm?). S :( rry J :!: m
P.S. I haven't nearly the experience of my peers. I first turned wrenches on a 356 in 1967, well after production had ceased.

Paul Hatfield
356 Registry Member

#25 Post by Paul Hatfield »

Yes, Bob's hose is exactly like mine (well, ok, in better shape :) )
Yes, the hose is thick and the outer diameter much larger than the plastic ribbed hose.
That is why I point out the clamps. They are made by the same manufacturer as the other clamps on the car and made by the same manufacturer as was used for the plastic ribbed hose. They are made to fit the larger diameter hose.
Not really conclusive that they were installed by the factory when the cars were first delivered, but they are out there.
Of course, I saved my hose, but for some reason could not find my clamps yesterday! Rats!!!

Paul
Paul Hatfield
"Miss April"

Bruce Baker
356 Fan

#26 Post by Bruce Baker »

If we can't agree on at least the catch phrase "never say never," then we are a sorry lot.

Not too many years ago I had to break a petrified braided hose to disassemble a previously untouched motor and save the leaking base filler can (later style stand, thus a later engine) and the rusty 1-2 aircleaner. That thick hose was stubborn! I have seen a few like that since my entry into doing this type of work, right at the end of 356 production in '65 (albeit for my own 356s until '71).

Over the years, we've used whatever fit or created an atmospheric vent 90* down from the filler outlet, made from a suitable 19mm ID radiator hose...and plugged the inlet on the carb.

I know that John Kent was looking for an accordion type tube many years ago when his original split and became useless...and maybe he predated Jim's version's availability, 'cause I found a serviceable original that I believe is still on his C.

Can I recall what was on my '65 C in '69? No, but the type of crankcase vent hose doesn't matter if we agree that the 'usual' and 'better' was the type Jim has for sale in a close reproduction. Who sells the proper type of heavy braided hose many of us have seen otherwise? There's the answer then to what's 'correct'!

Sometimes the decisions are made for us, not by us.

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor

#27 Post by Jim Breazeale »

I know better than to say " never or always" and did it anyway. I'm eating those words as I type this. I am convinced that the hose pictured in Bob's post is a factory installed part! I have seen those. I am used to seeing the thinner replacement braided hose that we and other suppliers sell by the foot, though. Oil bleeds right through that stuff over a period of time and dust collects on the damp, oil soaked, hose. The thick hose in Bob's picture is much less prone to do that. It does appear that the braided hose came on Cs and SCs early in the C production. It was soon replaced by the ribbed plastic hose that does not bleed. Any body got a 65 year model 356C or SC with a hose like the one in Bob's picture? I'll bet not. The ribbed plactic hose has not been available from Porsche for as long as I can remember, maybe never. They are thin and get very brittle over time. Most of them have been replaced by a section of hose, of often braided hose.

Humbly
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com

Paul Hatfield
356 Registry Member

#28 Post by Paul Hatfield »

Jim-
My car is a 65 C and came to me with the hose I have shown.

But then again, it is like all things. The guy went to the shelf and the braided hose was there. Could have been plastic ribbed hoses used on engines on either side of mine.

Now I gotta see if I can find those stupid clamps again!

Paul
Paul Hatfield
"Miss April"

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor

#29 Post by Jim Breazeale »

Paul Hatfield wrote:Jim-
My car is a 65 C and came to me with the hose I have shown.

But then again, it is like all things. The guy went to the shelf and the braided hose was there. Could have been plastic ribbed hoses used on engines on either side of mine.

Now I gotta see if I can find those stupid clamps again!

Paul
Paul

The clamps are Norma clamps. those are sold by the diameter, The are probably something like 30mm or so for your braided hose. The plastic ones were 22mm. I use a 24mm clamps for 2 reasons,the material used in the manufacture of the plastic hose is thicker than the original material. The other reason is that 22 mm clamps are no longer available.

Regards
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#30 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Jim,

See eBay ad

http://cgi.ebay.com/Porsche-356-Factory ... 820wt_1141

A gentleman is selling copies of a factory image showing Euro (or ROW) B engines with a braided hose. Could this be the hose pictured in the parts book? Didn't the euro B engines use a C type oil filler? It would seem convenient for the factory to do this, and the drawing shows the hose running straight down as if venting underneath the engines as in this factory image. Or am I just confusing things??

What say you?
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer