Fuse cover label

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Brad Ripley
356 Fan

Fuse cover label

#1 Post by Brad Ripley »

Anybody know the real truth about this label? If so, tell us when it was used, what 356 models/years, etc.
Attachments
Fuse label Carrera.jpg
Fuse label Carrera.jpg (37.03 KiB) Viewed 2416 times

Charlie White
356 Fan

Re: Fuse cover label

#2 Post by Charlie White »

Brad, maybe a clue is the word "petrol". UK?

CW
Charlie White

Jon Bunin
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jon Bunin »

Brad,

Here is the fuse cover from my 1956 356A 1600 Coupe...
Attachments
DSCN8753.JPG
Jon Bunin

John Summer
356 Fan

#4 Post by John Summer »

Hi Brad. The tag you show came off of a 1956 Speedster I purchased from the original owner in St. Petersburg, Florida in the late 80's. The car had been stored for more than 20 years in an airplane hanger at Albert Whitted Airfield in St. Pete. The previous owner planned to restore the car and never got to it (sound familiar?). It was completely untouched and exactly as purchased, including tool kit, cloth tire strap, owner's manual, original tires and about 30K on the odometer. The old "car in the barn" story, only this was a hanger. The tag was under the knurled knob on the fuse block. When I disassembled the car, I put the tag in a plastic baggy and there it's been ever since. I've never seen another until another registry member just posted his from a coupe. Charlie White wonders about the "petrol" reference, but I suspect it's standard German translation to english, since the speedster was delivered to the U.S. and not a right hand drive. So there's the real truth as I know it. I'm always fascinated with learning something new every day with 356's. The tag is for sale on e bay, along with other 356 stuff that I've accumulated over the years. Almost all other bits and pieces from that particular car 82281 have been sold except the driver's manual, which I'm holding on to just in case I find another speedster in a hollow log somewhere. John Summer, San Luis Obispo, Ca. #1475.
John Summer
San Luis Obispo, CA

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#5 Post by Brad Ripley »

The notation about the electric fuel/petrol pump leads some to think this tag was only on 4-cam cars. So far only 1956 cars have been mentioned. In any event, the tag is made of yellow plastic and as you can see, they most likely fell off and were thrown out. Or, maybe it's like the elusive webbed Speedster tire strap .....

John Summer
356 Fan

#6 Post by John Summer »

Hi Brad. You know, it could very well be plastic although I assumed it's heavy stock paper. It's brittle and I hesitate to even try to flatten it. And the Carrera reference makes sense for the fuel pumps, although it also refers to lighting and therefore wouldn't be Carrera specific. What a mystery!
John Summer
San Luis Obispo, CA

Eric Cherneff
356 Fan

#7 Post by Eric Cherneff »

Just curious - where are the inline fuses for instrument lighting? I can't recall seeing inline fuses for anything other than the radio power supply.
Eric Cherneff
1966 912

356 Registry database manager