Original floor design for late 356 early SWB 911/912?

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Al Nick
356 Fan

Original floor design for late 356 early SWB 911/912?

#1 Post by Al Nick »

Was hoping to clarification about original floor pan design for the late 356/SWB 911/912s.
Did the original floors come with drain holes that were plugged by rubber caps/or grommets of some sort (see pics)? These pics are of a claimed completely factory unmolested floor (1966 912). And above the floor in the inside of the cabin the car still has its original horse hair tar application completely undisturbed, so the claim seems accurate.

I know the repro floor pans are solid metal throughout but I can't find any period part references that would indicate such floor drainage plugs ever existed. I also can't say I've seen this before (or noticed) but then again I'm not an expert, hence the question.
Many thanks,
N
SNV39099.jpg
SNV39087.jpg
SNV39103.jpg

Tom Perazzo
356 Fan
Tag: It's only metal...

Re: Original floor design for late 356 early SWB 911/912?

#2 Post by Tom Perazzo »

My C coupe has features similar to the ones pictured. I understand that only Karmann bodied cars have them. They don't appear to be drains, rather tooling holes or assembly aids? The holes have plugs crimped into them that make the shape similar to ones pictured below. I have my original ones if you need a picture.
Last edited by Tom Perazzo on Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Perazzo
1964 SC Coupe (under restoration)
www.ZalexIndustries.com

Al Nick
356 Fan

#3 Post by Al Nick »

Tom~
I belive your theory of facotry specifc floor stamps is correct; Porsche floors were solid and Karmann floors appreared with these holes. I recall a '66 Porsche built 912 I had that did not have the holes. I've never owned a Karmann 356. Interesting.

I don't suppose anyone out there is making repro plugs for such floors as I could use a couple.

In any event, thanks again Tom for your input and if you could post the pic of your floor to this thread that would be great!
Much obliged.
A

Tom Perazzo
356 Fan
Tag: It's only metal...

#4 Post by Tom Perazzo »

Hi Al,
The pictures below are from the rear seat pans that I removed from my coupe. I believe they are the same plugs that are used in the floor pans. I have the original floor pans too, but these features are even more rusted out!
If you find a source for these plugs please let me know. If I have any energy left, I may make some after the metal work is completed on my car as a finishing touch.
Enjoy,
Tom
From inside the car
From inside the car
From the bottom side of car
From the bottom side of car

Tom Perazzo
1964 SC Coupe (under restoration)
www.ZalexIndustries.com