Difference between Reproduction and Original items

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Edwin Ek
356 Fan

Re: Difference between Reproduction and Original items

#121 Post by Edwin Ek »

I don't think I have seen a reproduction switch with spade terminals- the C version. Unfortunately in this case, I am interested in the earlier version with screw terminals.

Dick Roth
356 Fan

#122 Post by Dick Roth »

Gentlemen, As a Porsche owner for more than 54 years I can only say one thing: You don't know how lucky you are to be able to focus on this minutiae! There was a time when the acronym NLA wasn't the name of a business. Don't forget to get out and drive your cars!

Paul Hatfield
356 Registry Member

#123 Post by Paul Hatfield »

I am getting closer to finishing the interior for my 65 C Karmann coupe- Miss April. I dug into my pile of removed parts and also the large box of various rubber parts I have yet to install.
Below are photos of the brake & clutch pads I removed alongside of the new reproduction ones I purchased. I know the pictures aren't perfect, but let me describe:
The ones that were in the car (low mileage) have rounded ends on the short ridges as they approach the center circle
The reproduction ones are more of a straight cut as these same ridges approach the center circle.
The chevron at the bottom is larger in the older part. Easier to notice this by looking at the inside triangle instead of the outside.
The side profile of the older ones are smooth, whereas the reproduction ones have a ridge which I guess could be carefully removed.

So, question for the pedal pad experts- are the ones I removed from the car original?
Attachments
IMG_4016.jpg
IMG_4016.jpg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 1462 times
IMG_4015.jpg
IMG_4015.jpg (1.22 MiB) Viewed 1462 times
Paul Hatfield
"Miss April"
http://www.enginesinback.com

Bill Waite
356 Fan

#124 Post by Bill Waite »

Hi Paul,

I took the photo (below) prior to the start of my restoration of our '65 Karmann "Greenie." Carol has owned this car since 1975 and I have no reason to believe that the pedal pads had been replaced prior to 1975. The ones you have marked as "original" sure look like ours. So my vote is yes, you've got the originals. Until, of course, someone proves me wrong (happens a lot, unfortunately).
IMG_6105.JPG.JPG
IMG_6105.JPG.JPG (192.03 KiB) Viewed 1449 times
Bill Waite
Grand Rapids, MI

1965 356C Coupe "Reversible Outlaw"

Paul Hatfield
356 Registry Member

#125 Post by Paul Hatfield »

I cleaned mine up a bit and am now providing 2 more photos just to be clear what mine look like, I think the rounded ends are easier to see.

Here is a funny thing- I can now tell which one was clutch, and which was brake.

One side of each pedal rubber is worn, but only one side. The clutch pedal is worn on the left side and no wear on the right. The brake pedal is the opposite- worn on the right, no wear on the left. Second photo shows how much. Just a little anecdote to the story.
Attachments
IMG_4018.jpg
IMG_4018.jpg (3.04 MiB) Viewed 1425 times
IMG_4019.jpg
IMG_4019.jpg (832.85 KiB) Viewed 1425 times
Paul Hatfield
"Miss April"
http://www.enginesinback.com

Lou Mele
356 Fan

#126 Post by Lou Mele »

Does anyone have Carl's information? I am interested in purcahing some of his repros.
Thanks
L

Peter Silten
356 Fan

#127 Post by Peter Silten »

Here's the email I have for Carl: carthobau@gmail.com

Lou Mele
356 Fan

#128 Post by Lou Mele »

thank you