1964 Karmann vs. Reutters body

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: SF Giants Fan

Re: 1964 Karmann vs. Reutters body

#16 Post by Jim Breazeale »

vic skirmants wrote:Cliff,
One minor correction. The "secret" body number is behind the passenger-side plate, not behind the driver's-side plate that has the body number and paint code plates.
The last 3 digits of the chassis number are stamped on the back side of the hinge cover plate that the ID plate is attached to. I'm sure they are not the ones that came with the car. As stated before look for the chassis number stamped in the trunk.
I just recently did a PPI for a friend and discovered the car in question had been cut in half and a front clip from another car had been welded on. It was done many years ago and had passed through a few owners and nobody new that the car was made from 2 halves. The number tag descrepency should be a cause for further inspection but not a deal breaker if everything else checks out.

Regards
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com
www.facebook.com/pages/European-Auto-Salvage-Yard-EASY/120458108029410

john schwamm
356 Fan

#17 Post by john schwamm »

Bruce wrote:Greetings.This is my first post and if I may chime in may I remind you to correct the color code. If this is the lovely car I see in the pictures it wears 6012 which I believe is 1960-1961 special color navy blue and you need 64xx.Sky blue is 6403.Correct me if I'm wrong.This would seem to suggest a restoration man somewhat unfamiliar with the marque but it certainly appears outwardly quite nice if it's the same one.
I'm still a 356 "wannabe" which I hope to correct and I do look forward to meeting many of you folks,you all sound (or read!) like such great people! KTF(see what a lurker I am?)Bruce Coffin Costa Mesa CA
Car I am looking at is Sky Blue, the 6403 code, correct for 1964.

Bruce Coffin
356 Fan

#18 Post by Bruce Coffin »

Pretty car for sure!Now I'm curious,does tag indeed say 6012 currently? Regards,Bruce

john schwamm
356 Fan

#19 Post by john schwamm »

Bruce wrote:Pretty car for sure!Now I'm curious,does tag indeed say 6012 currently? Regards,Bruce
Does not have COA on it now, so not sure, I belive color has been changed, COA ordered to verify.

Bruce Coffin
356 Fan

#20 Post by Bruce Coffin »

My observation was ebay car in VA (i clicked add. photos) not intending to bid mind you.You mentioned earlier one could get correct Reutter tag,stamp in number,thus my perhaps unneeded heads up on color code.I must add though that the fact that even a rank amateur as rank as myself would get correct tag,insert correct serial number and insert an appropriate color code and that they missed on at least two counts would,while not a deal breaker,be at least a heads up.Jim above mentions a P.P.I.,I believe thats private party inspection(I warned you that I was a rank amatuer) and I'm sure you don't need my advice on that. Please allow me to re utter this utterance concerning that Reutter-It looks absolutely fantastic.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#21 Post by C J Murray »

johnaz- You could always make an offer on my Ruby Red C prototype that is also on Ebay. It's not blue but it sure is nice!
Cliff
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

C J Murray
356 Fan

#22 Post by C J Murray »

John-Since you are in AZ I strongly suggest that you get a PPI done before you buy. Danger is everywhere!
Cliff
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Charlie White
356 Fan

#23 Post by Charlie White »

John, I'm in Scottsdale, if you need some help, drop me an email.

CW
Charlie White

Roy Lock
356 Fan

#24 Post by Roy Lock »

Jim Breazeale wrote:
The last 3 digits of the chassis number are stamped on the back side of the hinge cover plate that the ID plate is attached to. I'm sure they are not the ones that came with the car. As stated before look for the chassis number stamped in the trunk.
I just recently did a PPI for a friend and discovered the car in question had been cut in half and a front clip from another car had been welded on. It was done many years ago and had passed through a few owners and nobody new that the car was made from 2 halves. The number tag descrepency should be a cause for further inspection but not a deal breaker if everything else checks out.

Regards
Being the skeptic that I always am, I'm going to rain on this parade and agree with Jim. If the ID's do not match up, then there is the possibility that the car is stolen and re-ID'd.

I would strongly suggest you do a through PPI before proceeding. Take up Charlie's offer to talk to someone who knows the in's and out's of 356's.

Just my opinion and .02 worth of doubt.
Roy Lock  
Registry #1704
356 Club of SoCal #0018
62 S90 Roadster "Ole Blu"
63 S90 Sunroof Coupe "Fritz"
70 Dodge Challenger T/A "Pinky" 

john schwamm
356 Fan

#25 Post by john schwamm »

Roy Lock wrote:
Jim Breazeale wrote:

Regards
Being the skeptic that I always am, I'm going to rain on this parade and agree with Jim. If the ID's do not match up, then there is the possibility that the car is stolen and re-ID'd.

I would strongly suggest you do a through PPI before proceeding. Take up Charlie's offer to talk to someone who knows the in's and out's of 356's.

Just my opinion and .02 worth of doubt.
All numbers match on the car, just the door tag that is Karmann and should be Reutters is wrong, all others appear to be correct.

Does anyone know Porsche shop or expert in Richmond, VA area that I could hire to do an inspection for me there? I am in AZ, car is in VA.
thanks,
John

Tom Bridgers
356 Fan

#26 Post by Tom Bridgers »

No Comment.
Last edited by Tom Bridgers on Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1964 356 SC
1967 911
1974 911
1973 914S
2004 GT3

Pat Daily
356 Fan

#27 Post by Pat Daily »

I would like to second Tom's suggestion about Chris and Robert--they know 356s and then some! They work on my car and I have been very happy with their efforts.
Pat Daily
Midlothian, VA
356B coupe (121123 aka "Fast Frieda") 

Pat Daily
356 Fan

#28 Post by Pat Daily »

I went back and reread this thread and checked out ebay. The blue car was at our local Richmond Porsche Meet last summer. Check here for the cover photo of our newsletter with it sitting next to my B coupe.

http://shn.pca.org/newsletters/HE0710.php

also here for more pix
http://shn.pca.org/archive/RPM10pix.php
Pat Daily
Midlothian, VA
356B coupe (121123 aka "Fast Frieda") 

john schwamm
356 Fan

#29 Post by john schwamm »

Gentlemen,
Thanks for the input. I have a deposit on the car subject to inspection, using Lufteknic for that. They appear to be a good choice for 356 PPI.

What was your opinion of the car when it was at the show last summer? Any thoughts are appreciated on it, good or bad. Only thing I have found is the Karmann tag is not correct, it is a Reutters car. Also has no tool kit or manual. And I believe exterior color was changed to the skyblue from ivory.
thanks,
John

john schwamm
356 Fan

#30 Post by john schwamm »

Tom Bridgers wrote:Try Lufteknic.
Chris or Robert:

http://www.lufteknic.com/

Is this a private sale?

Tom
Through local dealer, Euroclassics, but small commission to them as the owner is buying a new car, one of the 356 only of the new turbo ones. Big bucks there!