More Speedster seat questions

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Mike Vollmer
356 Fan

More Speedster seat questions

#1 Post by Mike Vollmer »

Not wanting to hijack Mr Warshawskys thread on cord inserts in speedster seats, it did make me think of a couple more questions. Charlie White posted the parts book options (see below) I think
we can all agree on what leatherette and genuine leather look like. But look at option #4 its
artificial leather.
Question #1 what does artificial leather look like?
#2 what is the covering used on Carrera floors and the backs of seats instead of carpet called?
#3 has anyone seen seats covered in that material? (see photos)
My car is #82336 push rod and I always thought the seats were original.
From the parts books.............

356-A Parts Book, Main Group 7, Illustration 64, page 511 & 512.

644.521.001.40/644.521.001.41 (Speedster) Folding seat, left, complete, leatherette, with wooden frame and 2 seat rails-state color.

644.521.001.50/644.521.001.51 (Speedster) Folding seat, left, complete, genuine leather, with wooden frame and 2 seat rails - state color.

644.521.001.52 (Speedster) Folding seat, left, comlplete, with leatherette-corduroy lining combination, wooden frame and 2 seat rails ONLY FOR CARRERA GT. Factory's words!

644.521.002.40/644.521.002.41 (Speedster) Folding seat, right, complete, with artificial leather lining, wooden frame and 2 seat rails - state color.

644.521.002.50/644.521.002.51 (Speedster) Folding seat, right, complete, genuine leather, wooden frame and 2 seat railsl - state color.

644.521.002.52 (Speedster) Folding seat, right, comlete, with leatherette-corduroy lining combination, wooden frame and 2 seat rails (ONLY FOR CARRERA GT). Factory's words!

644.521.061.40 (Speedster) Seat Bucket, left, untrimmed - not Carrera GT
644.521.062.40 (Speedster) Seat Bucket, Right, untrimmed - not Carrera GT

644.521.062.50 (Speedster, Coupe) Seat Bucket - Aluminum execution with support, without frame left or right - for Carrera GT.
Attachments
DSC03171.JPG
DSC03170.JPG
DSC03169.JPG

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

Re: More Speedster seat questions

#2 Post by Adam Wright »

Mike,
Here is a pair that were taken out of the car when it was 6 months old and replaced with coupe seats. The guy's wife had a large dierrie, that would not fit into the seats.
They were stored in the rafters until 2008 when I bought them, it does not get much more original than these.
Attachments
speedseats2.jpg
speedseats.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Mike Vollmer
356 Fan

#3 Post by Mike Vollmer »

Adam, I agree your seats are orginal, by the looks they are leaterette. My question is what does artifical leather look like. I'm refering to the heavy texture of my seats, simular to the texture
of the stuff used on Carrera floors and seat backs. I guess my question is what is the difference
between artifical leather and leatherette? According to the parts book options you had a choice.
Thanks Mike

Michael Doyle
356 Fan

#4 Post by Michael Doyle »

Mike Vollmer wrote:Adam, I agree your seats are orginal, by the looks they are leaterette. My question is what does artifical leather look like. I'm refering to the heavy texture of my seats, simular to the texture
of the stuff used on Carrera floors and seat backs. I guess my question is what is the difference
between artifical leather and leatherette? According to the parts book options you had a choice.
Thanks Mike
Mike,

At first look, I don't think your seats have original material on them, and the stitching is wavy in places (but they do look good for their age).

Artificial leather is simply leatherette, otherwise known as vinyl. Reutter built not only chassis for Porsche but many other related parts, including seats, etc. They made the Speedster seat shells and upholstered them.

The German vinyl that Reutter used on the seats was called Kunst(spl.?) leder...or "Artificial leather". Mostly used was black or "Schwarz", and it was fairly smooth and a somewhat shiny vinyl material. On some Porsche kardexes you sometimes see the abbreviation "K'l. schw.". This is what I described above. Leder is real leather, and that just is what it is.

The GT cars had another vinyl material used in place of the carpeting areas know as “Plastschwarz” or “Plast” - which is heavier crushed black vinyl.

Hope this helps. Michael