1958 speedster 1600 normal

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Vincent Wong
356 Fan

1958 speedster 1600 normal

#1 Post by Vincent Wong »

Hello, I noticed that some 1958 speedsters have an idle adjustment knob to the right of the key switch; is that present on all speedsters? I wanted to know if the absence of this idle adjustment knob is a detail forgotten by the restoration shop, or if Porsche didn't include this item on the dashboard of some 1958 speedsters,
Thanks,
Vincent.

Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

Re: 1958 speedster 1600 normal

#2 Post by Barry Brisco »

See the article at http://porsche356registry.org/resources ... e-faq.html about hand throttles.

All 356A and T5 B cars, including Speedsters, had a hand throttle according to Brett Johnson's book.

Read the article to understand what it did. It was not a choke, and it was not an idle adjustment. It is simply a way to put some pressure on the gas pedal without touching it with your foot. Used when warming up the car. If you don't have one, it makes absolutely no difference to how the car runs and drives.

I don't think the lack of a hand throttle is going to devalue your Speedster to any significant degree. They are hard to find in usable condition, but your car is so valuable that an interested buyer isn't likely to decide not to buy it just because of that one missing piece.

Best regards,

Barry

Jon Warshawsky
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jon Warshawsky »

Barry Brisco wrote:... I don't think the lack of a hand throttle is going to devalue your Speedster to any significant degree...
Isn't this the Authenticity Corner? :shock:

I was expecting something more hardcore: "Any Speedster missing a hand throttle needs a full restoration" or something.
Jon Warshawsky
San Diego
1956 Speedster #82191

Al Zim
356 Fan

#4 Post by Al Zim »

At one time I owned one of the first 356 B coups after the factory deleted the idle speed pull. In the Karmann cars this was 211430 and my car was 211444. Check the parts book it will tell you when the 63 (or was that 62) cars finally lost the knob. al zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/