rear reflectors on Convt. D's

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Eric Meyer
356 Fan
Location: California's Central Coast, not quite New Zealand... but close

rear reflectors on Convt. D's

#1 Post by Eric Meyer »

My 1959 Convt D came with ULO rear reflectors. I am pretty sure that these were original on most 1959 D's if not all. I don't know about 1958 D's. The OG convt. D's I have seen have ULO plastic reflectors.

I have heard many opinions on rear reflectors on D's... but have not seen authoritative final conformation on this subject. Drauz details seem to periodically differ from Reutter details in the transition dates in a few other areas as well... so I am always looking for other info from D owners.

were glass reflectors on D's? if so... when was the switch to ULO? Or were all Drauz cars ULO?

I am specifically wondering about Convt. D's.... not 356A cars in general.

if this subject has been covered before... please post a link to that thread.

Thanks!!

Eric Meyer
356 Fan
Location: California's Central Coast, not quite New Zealand... but close

Re: rear reflectors on Convt. D's

#2 Post by Eric Meyer »

another thing I have noticed... while thinking about it... is that the rubber gasket between the rear reflector angled aluminum wedge washer and the body... is white on original cars. (maybe a faded light grey... hard to tell)

has anyone else seen this detail?

Chuck House
Registry Hall of Fame

#3 Post by Chuck House »

Eric,

Early Ds had glass reflectors but later ones had the ULO plastic ones. I don't know when the change occurred exactly but John Chatley has been trying to poll D owners on this.

All original cars I've seen had round black rubber gaskets on both sides of the aluminum reflector base on glass lenses. However I wouldn't be too surprised to see a gray one. They used black and gray on the hood handle seals as my D (late '58) had it's original gray hood handle seals (so does my '56 and the '57 I used to own).
Chuck House
Southern California

Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

#4 Post by Barry Brisco »

If I recall correctly, the rear reflectors were ULO plastic type on the D I used to own, 86439, built May 1959.

However, I have no idea if they were original to the car or not.

Barry