air cleaners

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Ken Daugherty
356 Fan

air cleaners

#1 Post by Ken Daugherty »

I am trying to 'chart' the air cleaner use on the 356 motors, The first were called Mushroom air cleaners and used on the early two piece motors. They were replaced with the round mesh air cleaners...
There are three versions of the round mesh air cleaners.
The early are 115 mm dia and 60 mm tall and fit the 32PBI/PBIC carbs with the ~52mm inlet
Next are the 115 mm dia and 83mm tall and aslo fit the 32PBI/PBIC carbs
The third late version is 130 mm dia and 83 mm tall and fit the 40PBIC/PiCB carbs and the 32 NDIX carbs
The first version of the paper element filter can had three clips and only used for a brief time in 1958 and later replaced with the two clip version. When the 356C was introduced the neck on the can was lengthened to accomodate the breather tube.
The oval mesh air filters, as used on the Solex 40PII , will be discussed later.
Open to discussion as to era of each. Thanks, Ken Daugherty
Attachments
Mesh cleaners .jpg
Mesh cleaners .jpg (65.56 KiB) Viewed 2414 times
Ken Daugherty

Bruce Baker
356 Fan

Re: air cleaners

#2 Post by Bruce Baker »

Ken Daugherty wrote: ........The oval mesh air filters, as used on the Solex 40PII , will be discussed later.
Ken, so far, so good.

I can't wait to see the offerings of where the Knecht embossed logo placement was on which version and how it was determined as to when the plugged holes for the crankcase fume ingestion began on both air cleaners vs the 1-2 side only. This is my latest trivia 'need to know' for S90, SC and early 912. The oil fillers would be a logical guide, but by now I've seen 'way to many variables to be sure of what's correct for which model, which year.

Meanwhile, sorry to interrupt the earlier Solex and Zenith aircleaner treatise. My experience from my '53s and those 356s I've known up through T-2A had the various mesh units and I've seen mesh on (presumed original) 356s up through '59. I've seen three variations of the black paper filter cans, the shorter/earlier of which (2-latch on my '58), for which no usual vendor carried the lesser height of element that fit. (I 'shortened' two 'standards' in my press between plywood pieces to 'make do.')

Ken Daugherty
356 Fan

#3 Post by Ken Daugherty »

More info on the mesh air cleaners. I have confirmed that the short 60mm air cleaner is correct for motor 63055, a 1956 Normal with 32PBIC carbs (this is an original engine in my barn)
I also found a note in the box with the mesh air cleaners "Pre A, 40PBIC have two lines and the 32NDIX air cleaners have 4 lines"
Also noted that the early 60mm have 4 lines and the 83mm only has 2 lines.
The early air cleaners have a 11mm atf clamp screw and later 14mm atf clamp screws which was carried to the C cans in 65.

Ken Daugherty
Attachments
late mesh .jpg
late mesh .jpg (58.29 KiB) Viewed 2323 times
clamp nuts .jpg
clamp nuts .jpg (78.45 KiB) Viewed 2323 times
Ken Daugherty

Alan Hall
356 Fan

#4 Post by Alan Hall »

Ken, I believe that the short 32pbi size air cleaners were used on early cars after the mushroom cleaners, perhaps through '52, the taller cleaners were then used in '53 thru '55 or so but that the short cleaners were again used for for 356A with the 32pbic carbs. Also note that the cleaners for 40pbic carbs have the outer wrap of mesh made with the woven wire type mesh used thoughout the cleaner but the cleaners used with Zenith carbs have the outer wrap made from expanded metal. You can see this in the photo you posted of the pre-A vs A air cleaners. I don't know if the lines of text changed between the early short cleaners and the late short cleaners, perhaps someone with an early pre '52 engine can comment on what text is on their cleaners.
Alan Hall