Beehive Bezels - while we are on the subject

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Doug Naef
356 Fan

Beehive Bezels - while we are on the subject

#1 Post by Doug Naef »

On a Pre A does anyone know if there is a "hard and fast" rule that all Bezels have the "K" markings and the sine wave followed by numbers? I got deep into the K markings and believe the numbers represent where and when manufacturing occurred but I have seen two "original" cars that have plain bezels with no markings. Any experience on this subject would be appreciated.

Re: Beehive Bezels - while we are on the subject

#2 Post by Guest »

i was told that each k number outlined where the light went ... a front blinker rear blinker of a rear brake. all three had different #s less confusion on the assembly line.i am sure someone will chime in with what # goes where..off hand i cant remember..

Ned

Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

#3 Post by Barry Brisco »

This article may be of interest:
http://porsche356registry.org/resources ... types.html
Brad Ripley wrote:The "K" numbers were assigned by the University of Karlsruhe Lichttechnisches Institut (Lighting Institute), hence the "K" designation. Often the K-number has a sine wave ~~~ in front of the number. The light manufacturers (SWF, Hella, Bosch) would submit units for testing and the numbers corresponded to the position on the car with some sequence in the approval numbers.
Barry Brisco
1959 356A Coupe 105553, Ivory / Brown
2009 987 Cayman, Carrera White / Beige (daily driver)

Alan Hall
356 Fan

#4 Post by Alan Hall »

On my early '53 Cab which has been in the family since early '55 there are no k numbers on the tail lights/rims, the front turn lights/rims, the shine down licence light or on what I believe are the original glass reflectors.
Alan Hall

George Walling
356 Fan

#5 Post by George Walling »

My 55 Speedster has the very dark plastic red lense with no numbers or marking of any kind. I have owned the car since April 1965. #80581. I have not changed the lense how ever that does not mean that they come from factory with these lense. Well thats my 2 cents worth hope it helps. George
George E Walling

Doug Naef
356 Fan

#6 Post by Doug Naef »

It appears that the inconsistency remains consistent on the older cars! The two unrestored original '53's were plain but a '54 had them. I appreciate the consensus and information.

Mike Smith
356 Fan
Tag: Its Only for Fun

#7 Post by Mike Smith »

What about the Depth of the Chrome Ring - at least 2 x depths ?

and the Lens itself - at least 2 Heights of this also (was this anything to do with the Wattage change on the bulbs) ?

What numbers go in what positions ?

Has anybody documanted any of this ?
Mike Smith (Essex - UK)

Bruce Baker
356 Fan

#8 Post by Bruce Baker »

Mike Smith wrote:What about the Depth of the Chrome Ring - at least 2 x depths ?

and the Lens itself - at least 2 Heights of this also (was this anything to do with the Wattage change on the bulbs) ?

What numbers go in what positions ?

Has anybody documented any of this ?
Mike, it's only lately this esoteric trivia has become so important, as in the early years of 356 restoration, if things like lamps matched each other, then what "looked right... was right."

We had more trustworthy examples for reference, keener minds and easier sources of parts that were 'original.' The focus wasn't on originality as much as drivability.

What may not show in my point-n-shoot picture here is that the K-numbering (with sine wave symbol) is stamped facing two different ways with different sized font. I found three different original bezel depths and all those repro and original lenses without searching everywhere or looking too hard.

Most importantly, I am not aware of anything to help place what-where except old photos and common sense and 45 years of experience coupled to a cloudy memory and the fact that we approved of similar Lucas lights on a 356...because they were cheaper, more available....and they worked. Here's to hoping we can get away with 'looking right is right' with the help of others still gathering/documenting Dr. Brett Johnson-esque information as true originality continually fades away.

The most important thing to remember is what Porsche was like as a small company when 356s were built in relatively low volume and what their thinking was from the viewpoint of all departments. Again; cost, availability, usefulness of ingredients....and as far as I'm concerned, no two 356s were ever exactly alike as they rolled out of 'the Factory.'
Attachments
IMG_3089.JPG

Mike Smith
356 Fan
Tag: Its Only for Fun

#9 Post by Mike Smith »

Bruce,

I agree with you - BUT we ARE moving into an era where customers and `sharp shooters` are deeming these details to be important

As someone in the trade, we are expected to know this stuff and if we don`t then we are expected to find out about it - (as best we can, with so few reference cars left)

Kind regards
Mike Smith (Essex - UK)

Bruce Baker
356 Fan

#10 Post by Bruce Baker »

Mike Smith wrote:Bruce,

I agree with you - BUT we ARE moving into an era where customers and `sharp shooters` are deeming these details to be important

As someone in the trade, we are expected to know this stuff and if we don`t then we are expected to find out about it - (as best we can, with so few reference cars left)

Kind regards
Mike, I think we are up against two words: 'subjective' and 'objective.'

Some client hobbyists are well versed and can tell us more than we may already know about a certain part or process and others take our word for almost everything. I always appreciate client interaction. I like to be the hands to do the work they can't or don't want to do. I never claim to know everything about a 356 .... no one can ..... so shared knowledge works best.

I guess I need to rename my shop "Jaded Restorations" or some such. I always want to learn more about details, new products and techniques, as I am more an enthusiast than true professional.....but sometimes there is a limit to each and a balance must be maintained.

For instance, this light lens question. I'd like polycarbonate lenses. The Zirconium of Ersatzglas......looks like......whatever we think it should be (but won't break if accidentally stepped on or dropped).......and have it be the only replacement part that can be obtained by guys like us if alternatives are not obtained personally by a particular customer who is absolutely positive he/she knows whether their 356 should have glass or plastic lenses ..............as I need to get back to welding or some other task that's of bigger importance in the long run than whether lenses were glass or plastic.

BTW, after a challenging effort to please a customer several years ago (during which I lost a noticeable amount of money) in his quest for the 'correct silver' on his 356 that required test panel after test panel over a span of several months.......I now offer only one silver. If that which pleases me does not please the client, then they are free to source their own paint and I'll spray that. I think it's called 'streamlining.'

For a TDY (temporary duty assignment) while in the military in 1969, I pulled targets in the Army sniper school at Ft Hood, Texas...... so I can say I was shot at during the war in 'Nam...by 'friendly fire.' I hope the 'sharp shooters' in our 356 lives now also remain friendly.

Best regards,
Bruce

Tom Scott
356 Fan

#11 Post by Tom Scott »

I recently restored a 1957 T1 Speedster, 83124, which had the original paint and was very unmolested. The owner stated that he purchased the car from the original owner in 1958. During the disassemble process I carefully noted a number of details about the car, including the K numbers on the brake and turn signal bezels. The rear inside bezels, (tail lights), were marked K 1485 and the outside, (brake and turn) were K 1481 and the front turn were K 3215. I would like to ask all owners of unrestored T1 Speedsters to validate my assertions.

Thanks,

Tom Scott
:D

Omar Almada
356 Fan

#12 Post by Omar Almada »

Correct configuration !
53cabrio+56speedster