Electrical Connections Paint Dot

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Paul Hatfield
356 Registry Member

Electrical Connections Paint Dot

#1 Post by Paul Hatfield »

Below is a photo sent to me by Jim Breazeale of what he describes as a very original car. Please note the yellow dot on the horn connections. Yes, I know, hard to see past the spider- but it is an original German NOS spider :D

I have noticed these yellow paint splashes on many of the electrical connections on my own car in places like the fuse holders.

Wondering what the group thinks of which connections had these (most of the time) and which ones did not. I suspect the voltage regulator connections had them, but have never seen any on ground straps. What about connections in the battery box or ????????

Paul
Attachments
Horn (Large).jpg
Paul Hatfield
"Miss April"
http://www.enginesinback.com

Bruce Baker
356 Fan

Re: Electrical Connections Paint Dot

#2 Post by Bruce Baker »

Yes to fuse block and horns, some on volt reg and early relay connections, some wiper motors and contacts in the steering hub surround/horn button/grounding ring screw connections. This was primarily a mark that screws were tight on electrical connections, usually a small dab at the edge of the screw to overlap the adjacent part, usually yellow paint, but I have seen red as well.

Bob Kittel
356 Fan

#3 Post by Bob Kittel »

I have the yellow dots on my horns as well (1964 SC coupe). However the dot is only on one connection, actually the screw head and a second dot on the horn next to the hot connection.
Attachments
yellow dot 005.jpg
yellow dot 005.jpg (150.98 KiB) Viewed 4719 times
Bob Kittel

Paul Hatfield
356 Registry Member

#4 Post by Paul Hatfield »

So, none on generator connections and none on ground locations in the battery box? Likewise none on any "spade" connections (coil or instruments)? Any at the starter motor?
Paul Hatfield
"Miss April"

Bob Kittel
356 Fan

#5 Post by Bob Kittel »

Paul,
I had to run out to the garage to look and I should have qualified my statement. I only posted about the horns after seeing the other photo.

All of the fuse connectors at the fuse block are yellow at the screws, both ends. The generator and regulator do not have any yellow paint. The regulator does have the blob of off-white on the screw that holds the cover on. The hot battery cable has yellow on the two screws that clamp the cable to the connector. I used a flashlight under the dash and did not see any yellow paint on wires or connectors. Likewise on the starter, taillights or headlights.

On another painted nut. The two fresh air regulators under the hood have a square nut holding the arm in place. This square nut is painted green and is original.
Bob Kittel

Paul Hatfield
356 Registry Member

#6 Post by Paul Hatfield »

Wow Bob! Thank you for taking the time to inspect and report this.
Paul
Paul Hatfield
"Miss April"

Bob Kittel
356 Fan

#7 Post by Bob Kittel »

Paul,
Here a photo of the original as delivered in the car fuse block. All of the terminals are painted yellow. Also notice the fresh air regulator. The nut is green on both regulators. Only the face of the nuts are green and not the sides.
Attachments
fuse block.jpg
fuse block.jpg (222.19 KiB) Viewed 4651 times
Bob Kittel

Paul Hatfield
356 Registry Member

#8 Post by Paul Hatfield »

VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Paul Hatfield
"Miss April"

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#9 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Guys,

To see images of inspection paint on horns, fuse block and steering coupler on an original '58, check out Neil's book. You can find info about the book in the latest Registry magazine or at wwwneils356.com

It is a great authenticity example of this particular A coupe.

Regards,
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

E Rutherford
356 Fan

#10 Post by E Rutherford »

Looking for more confirmation on this square nut that is painted green (fresh air intakes in the trunk). I have an original 64C Cab with "good unrestored" fresh air guns and no green dot on the square nut. The original decal is still on the left gun. It looks exactly like the one above, but no green dot. Is this green dot an inconstant marking?

Why is there a decal on the drivers side gun in Bob's picture? Always thought they were on the left (passenger side only).

Always fun researching

Dave Whittick
356 Fan

#11 Post by Dave Whittick »

E Rutherford wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:14 pm Looking for more confirmation on this square nut that is painted green (fresh air intakes in the trunk). I have an original 64C Cab with "good unrestored" fresh air guns and no green dot on the square nut. The original decal is still on the left gun. It looks exactly like the one above, but no green dot. Is this green dot an inconstant marking?

Why is there a decal on the drivers side gun in Bob's picture? Always thought they were on the left (passenger side only).

Always fun researching
I thought the same about the picture above. The green paint on the nut for the air gun looks a little deliberate and thorough compared to originals I've seen. Same for the yellow on the wiring screws. I've understood that the decal for the air duct is only on the passenger side.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#12 Post by Martin Benade »

Yellow on a couple of the fuses themselves.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#13 Post by Mike Wilson »

Dave is correct: decal on the right side fresh air intake only.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#14 Post by Mike Wilson »

As I sit here in self-isolation, I'm cruising eBay, The Samba, etc. I saw a pair of fresh air intakes offeted on eBay and remembered this thread and checked out the square nuts for green paint. Then I had a brain fart. What if the green color isn't paint but rather green Locktite?

Whatchuthink?

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#15 Post by Martin Benade »

Pretty sure not in 1964
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet