T2 Exhaust "S" pipes

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Edwin Neusss

T2 Exhaust "S" pipes

#1 Post by Edwin Neusss »

Hi,

I am looking for detailed pics of the original exhaust "S" pipes on a T2. (The ones attached to the muffler leading the fumes through the overiders) The originals differed quite a bit from the bend pipes that are sold today. They seemed to be fitted together (?)

Neil Goldberg's book shows two pictures but they are not detailed and clear enough to really fully see what the originals looked like.

Who can provide more insight as to what these looked like exactly. Objective is to make a set for my car.

Thanks!

oh... should anyone have an original set lying around... I would be happy to take it over from you :wink:

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

Re: T2 Exhaust "S" pipes

#2 Post by Dick Weiss »

The original/OEM S-pipes have its inlet diameter to fit the Leistritz's 38mm outlet nipples.
The Dansk S-pipes have 40mm inlets to fit their 40mm oulet nipples--just like the #1 & #3 inlets to their muffler. Thusly, the OEM S-pipes won't fit the Dansk, and the Dansk S-pipes (and muffler) will fit "loosely" to the OEM 38mm Leitritz diameters, incl. the OEM J-pipes!
Thusly, shim/filler strips would be needed for the clamps to close properly preventing exhaust leaks. The aftermarket J-pipes=40mm diameter--unless it's a racing system.
Other aftermarket sytems may vary, but it's been many-many years adding thiose--other than a Bursh; otherwise, a stock system.

Dick

David Seeland
356 Fan

#3 Post by David Seeland »

IMG_2330.JPG
IMG_2330.JPG
The original T2 "S" pipes were welded together from an upper and lower half just as the elbows at the exhaust ports on a 4-cam head were welded. See the attached photos of an original "S" pipe from a 1959 356A cabriolet. Corey Johnson is making the 4-cam elbows but it was not an easy or simple project. [img][img][/img][/img]
Attachments
IMG_2328.JPG
David Seeland

Mike N
356 Fan

#4 Post by Mike N »

On the T2 S pipes, what is the distance from the muffler end to the exhaust end? I'm not referring to the total length of the snaking pipe, but rather, the 'horizontal' (side to side) length, so to speak. On the original B/C S pipe that I have, that distance looks to be about 12 inches.

Thanks,
Mike

David Seeland
356 Fan

#5 Post by David Seeland »

Approximately 190mm (7 3/8 inches) center to center for a T-2 S-pipe. According to the parts book the muffler outlets are 280mm center to center on a T-2 and 80mm on a B or C. I agree with the 12 inch measured length of a B/C S-pipe.
David Seeland

Joris Schweitzer
356 Fan

#6 Post by Joris Schweitzer »

Thanks for the information guys!

Just received four Elbows that Corey made for me, they look fabulous. With the additional pictures I can now fabricate the rest of the S-pipes.

Thanks again!

Jack Staggs
356 Fan

#7 Post by Jack Staggs »

Edwin, where are you located? I have some very nice originals that I may possibly loan, to use for measuring, with significant deposit. Jack ifix356@Juno.com

Joris Schweitzer
356 Fan

#8 Post by Joris Schweitzer »

e-mail sent