Clues that a car came with Euro heaters?

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Tom Perazzo
356 Fan
Tag: It's only metal...

Clues that a car came with Euro heaters?

#1 Post by Tom Perazzo »

I can't find a previous topic that I remember reading about Euro heater cable routing. However, I may have saved a picture from that thread.

Here's my authenticity question regarding a 64 karmann coupe 218094.

Does the hole, pictured below, in the front transmission mount prove that this car originally came with Euro heaters?
IMG_5365.JPG

The hole is to mount the curved tubes shown in the photo below.
euro heater tubes.jpg

Tom Perazzo
1964 SC Coupe (under restoration)
www.ZalexIndustries.com

Al Zim
356 Fan

Re: Clues that a car came with Euro heaters?

#2 Post by Al Zim »

I do not think so. For example, all the transmissions after the middle of 1961 had the dimple for the camber compensator but most of the cars did not have that option. The speedster (T-2) had the holes for the oil tanks in the left fender covered by tar paper, Some speedsters had the wire reinforcement in the front and rear panels, this was suppose to be a speedster but the car came with a push rod engine. It was probably easier to make all the parts the same then no modifications would be necessary for european heaters. Also this was true of the sun roof switch. al zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Jack Staggs
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jack Staggs »

Well said Al. I'll toss in Carrera extra wires in the looms, along with fog light wires. T6 battery box/floor with provision for gasoline heater installation. T6 B air vent control with empty slot too. T5 shifter lock bore could apply as well. T2 coil/fuel pump brackets, unused seatbelt mounts on T6, ... Oh yeah, the unused dipstick holder on the oil filter mount that was carried over from the pre A cars that had temp sensor dipsticks, all the way to the last '69 912! I am sure I have missed a few "standardized" fittings. Anyone else?

George Bryan
Registry Hall of Fame

#4 Post by George Bryan »

Besides the heater cable routing, assuming the house heating heat exchangers & all peculiar engine tin was missing, I always thought the most obvious clue or proof was the silver VIN body mounted (trunk) tag. The cars so equipped had a slightly different tag showing the heating system as Heizeinrichtung Typ 356BT6^^^S50 . This pic is from my beater 64 cab with the BT6 heating system. VIN is stamped on the 2nd box down on left side of the 'non-standard' tag.

Regards, George
IMG_0299.JPG
This pic is from my T6 without the T6B heating system. The VIN is stamped on the 'standard' plate top box on right side. (where the T6 heating system info is on the 'non-standard' tag).
IMGP1541.JPG

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jim Nelson »

Here's another data point.
158-420, '63 S90 Cab, Euro heater equipped: