Corduroy Seat inserts

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
randall hancock
356 Fan

Corduroy Seat inserts

#1 Post by randall hancock » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:00 pm

Doing the interior on my 57 coupe and COA lists corduroy inserts on seats. Have original seats which were recovered, front seats have some of the remaining insets to go by but nothing original on the one piece rear bottom and back. Have a couple of other rears of unknown origin with different insert patterns. Does anyone have picture of rears in 57. Car appears to be transition between T! and T2..

Dick Roth
356 Fan

Re: Corduroy Seat inserts

#2 Post by Dick Roth » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:52 pm

Can't say for certain what the 57 inserts were like but the 58's were just straight-up-and-down and forward and back in the centers. You will however find that the wale, or width of the corduroy strips, are somewhat between what we know in the US as narrow and wide. Leave it to the Germans to be somewhat in between. It can be had though through some of the top reupholstery businesses.

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#3 Post by Edwin Ek » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:34 am

I just saw something from Porsche about how it is reissuing vintage interior materials like houndstooth and corduroy seat inserts.

The goal is original appearance but with improved durability. The weave of the original houndstooth is, by all accounts, difficult to duplicate. Maybe the corduroy is easier and so more authentic.

Jeff Fadley
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jeff Fadley » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:10 pm

My 65C had corduroy inserts per the Kardex... prior owner changed them - I believe due to the difficulty of finding a good replacement. I took the car to Autos International in Orange County, CA (I don't know your location but they will ship) and had the seats redone with the inserts. They have been in about 15 years without real signs of age. I believe that they will send/sell you a swatch.

Jeff
64 C - Signal Red
65 C - Ruby Red