Roof Racks

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Richard Towle
356 Fan

Roof Racks

#1 Post by Richard Towle »

Did any aftermarket company make roof racks for the 356?
I have seen many beetle racks, and several interesting rear racks for the 356....
Why not the roof??

Rich
Forums = a herd of elephants with diarrhea. massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, and a source of mind boggling amounts of excrement.

#2 Post by Guest »

There were probably period racks, but, I don't know. However, Yakima racks do fit my 64 Coupe quite well. They are mounted on the rain gutters. On page 2 of this magazine there is a photo of my coupe with a TANDEM bicycle on top. The high rise (as Yakima calls them) racks are required to clear the curving roof lines and provide sufficient spacing between the racks. I drove it to North/South that way after breakfast that day. See:
http://pcasb.org/main/images/stories/au ... 007-06.pdf

The bicycle (with a list price when new well exceeding the list price of my car when new) and the car both did well. However, I would suggest limiting yourself to a single or a couple of surfboards. See http://www.yakima.com for more on the rack company
Last edited by Guest on Fri May 02, 2008 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard Towle
356 Fan

#3 Post by Richard Towle »

Bill, thank you for that post.
I know I can make my thule racks fit and function.
What I am more curious about is if there are truely period correct pictures of roof racks, or advertisements out there showing a roof rack for a 356.

Considering the gutters exist, and the curved roof is similar to the beetle, I am sure many folks used beetle racks from that period for the 356.

Just wondering if anyone marketed on for the 356 specifically.

Rich
Forums = a herd of elephants with diarrhea. massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, and a source of mind boggling amounts of excrement.

Richard Finnegan
356 Fan

Roof Racks

#4 Post by Richard Finnegan »

Jerry Seinfeld has what looks like an original on his C in the AMex commercial - maybe someone can advise as the Thule rack looks really horrible IMHO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYhshNWY ... re=related

Best Regards,

Richard Finnegan

On May 1, 2008, at 10:31 PM, Richard Towle wrote:
Did any aftermarket company make roof racks for the 356?
I have seen many beetle racks, and several interesting rear racks for the 356....
Why not the roof??

Rich
Post generated using Mail2Forum via email.
Best Regards,

Richard Finnegan
1960 356B S90 sunroof coupe
Registry Member #17253
Tortola, British Virgin Islands

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: SF Giants Fan

Re: Roof Racks

#5 Post by Jim Breazeale »

Richard Towle wrote:Did any aftermarket company make roof racks for the 356?
Why not the roof??

Rich
Richard

I have a factory Leitz roof rack from a 66 911. It would fit a 356 and even uses the same white plastic pad inserts for skis. It is close in appearance to the one on Seinfeld's 356, but is not the same one. It is kind of hard to determine if the one on his car is chrome or gloss black. Mine is chrome and attaches to the gutters. It is Option # 9503 and is PN # 901 801 010 01. No it is NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com
www.facebook.com/pages/European-Auto-Salvage-Yard-EASY/120458108029410

Mike Acebo
356 Fan

Roof Racks for a 356

#6 Post by Mike Acebo »

Rich,

I used very basic gutter mounts with cross bars for years to carry kayaks all over Calif. & the Southwest. See photo here:

http://tinyurl.com/5pa5md

#7 Post by Guest »

I've seen that photo before. Aloha Racks?