Pressure Plate Balance

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Wil Mittelbach
356 Fan

Pressure Plate Balance

#1 Post by Wil Mittelbach »

The original 200mm Fichtel & Sachs clutch pressure plate on my `65C has balance holes drilled in its plate periphery, as does the flywheel, perhaps indicating that they may have originally been balanced separately prior to factory assembly.
The Sachs replacement pressure plate I recently obtained has no balance holes, which I'm assuming to be unbalanced. Consequently, should it be separately balanced prior to installation, or together with the removed flywheel by balancing both via holing the pressure plate??
Comments/recommendations would be most helpful,
- Wil

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

Post generated using Mail2Forum via email.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

Pressure Plate Balance

#2 Post by Ron LaDow »

Wil,

"The original 200mm Fichtel & Sachs clutch pressure plate on my `65C
has balance holes drilled in its plate periphery, as does the
flywheel, perhaps indicating that they may have originally been
balanced separately prior to factory assembly."

If we're lucky, Richard P. will comment here. Typically, the f'wheel is balanced first on the (already balanced crank), then the PP is fitted and balanced. And in really close balancing, the f'wheel will get another 'look' (and 'touch'). A lot depends on the level of cut you and your suppliers are willing to invest.
OTOH, a balancer might use a cut on a PP to make up for a not-quite good balance on a f'wheel.
Thanks,
Ron LaDow

Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Pressure Plate Balance

#3 Post by Guest »

Wil Mittelbach wrote:
The original 200mm Fichtel & Sachs clutch pressure plate on my `65C has balance holes drilled in its plate periphery, as does the flywheel, perhaps indicating that they may have originally been balanced separately prior to factory assembly.
The Sachs replacement pressure plate I recently obtained has no balance holes, which I'm assuming to be unbalanced. Consequently, should it be separately balanced prior to installation, or together with the removed flywheel by balancing both via holing the pressure plate??
Comments/recommendations would be most helpful,
- Wil

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51733/*http: ... o8Wcj9tAcJ]Try it now.[/url]

- Wil

All the clutches I have seen have been balanced, you might a good one that does need to be balanced. Having said that I always get the flywheel and PP balanced it comes out better. You never know maybe it go past the balancer.

Alan

Richard Towle
356 Fan

#4 Post by Richard Towle »

The idea of balancing comes down to being practical. The Flywheel will certainly outlast many clutches and PP setups if the driver does not burn the flywheel carelessly.

Given that statement, the flywheel should be balanced with the crankshaft and this assembly should get as close to infinty (zero) as possible. This is done while rebuilding the motor. You stated that this was done.
So, take the flywheel off, give that and the pressure plate to the balancer. Using the dowel pin it will go back the same way, so the initial balance will be retained.
So, the pressure plate is balanced on its own, or mounted on the perfectly balanced flywheel. The PP is the ONLY item that gets material removed for the mated balance with the flywheel. The flywheel is already perfect, and matched to the crank.

With the ongoing variable always being a new pressure plate, do not touch the flywheel to compensate for the pressureplate imbalance. The pressureplate has special areas that can be milled to balance that up as close to perfect as possible. Once the pair are balanced, the balancer will index both together with marks to show you how they must be mated once you put them on the car again.

All balancing is done without the clutch disk in place.

Rich
Forums = a herd of elephants with diarrhea. massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, and a source of mind boggling amounts of excrement.