Making 4 1/2 inch Fuchs into a tubeless rim

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Bob Paxton
356 Fan

Making 4 1/2 inch Fuchs into a tubeless rim

#1 Post by Bob Paxton »

I accidentally place this in the classified section so I am now, I think in the right place. Can anybody advise whether it is possible and cost effective to convert the early 4 1/2 in Fuchs to run as a tubeless rim. I have restored a set of rims and am in the process of replacing the tires and would like to not run tubes. Is it possible? What is the best way to do this up-grade? Thanks

Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

Re: Making 4 1/2 inch Fuchs into a tubeless rim

#2 Post by Barry Brisco »

Bob Paxton wrote:Can anybody advise whether it is possible and cost effective to convert the early 4 1/2 in Fuchs to run as a tubeless rim. I have restored a set of rims and am in the process of replacing the tires and would like to not run tubes. Is it possible? What is the best way to do this up-grade? Thanks
When new the 356 came with tires that required tubes but now everyone uses tubeless tires on those same wheels. HOWEVER the 4.5" Fuchs wheels are different (the factor never offered them on the 356 model) so see Al Zim's post shown below this one. My original post contained bad advice! (text now removed)

For info on using tubeless tires on 356 type wheels, see "Tires With Tubes – Original Yes, Needed? No" at http://www.356registry.org/Tech/tires_t ... eeded.html featuring the combined wisdom of Rick Dill, Geoff Fleming, David Jones, Bud Osbourne, and Al Zim.
Last edited by Barry Brisco on Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Barry Brisco
1959 356A Coupe 105553, Ivory / Brown
2009 987 Cayman, Carrera White / Beige (daily driver)

Al Zim
356 Fan

TUBLESS TIRES ON EARLY ALLOY RIMS

#3 Post by Al Zim »

IF YOU USE TUBELESS TIRES ON 4.5" FUCHS YOUR TIRES WILL LOSE AIR AND COME OFF THE RIM CAUSING THE RIM TO BE DESTROYED AND POSSIBLY WRECKING YOU CAR.

Go to the classified and read my analysis. We can convert your Fuchs rims so they will successfully hold the large short tubless tire valve. The cost is $25.00 per wheel plus shipping and handling back to you. This includes the installed valve.

If you do not have this modification over time and low tire pressure the valve stem will become loose. I have seen cars on the left coast wit this happening. It happened on our race car in the 70's. when the prerssure is low it will be easy to push (with your finger) the valve stem into the tair and lose all the air. The tire will roll off the rim because there is not bump to keep it on the rim and now you have an expesive problem to fix. al zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/