Roadster top seals.

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Ken Daugherty
356 Fan

Roadster top seals.

#1 Post by Ken Daugherty »

Recently I have been posting comments and questions about the currently available Roadster top seals. This is the same windshield top seal seal as the Conv D.
The problem I have encountered is the presently available rubber seals are made with a very hard rubber and does not compress easily. It is often necessary to shave the seal to make it fit so the top will latch.
I Have gone thru all the possibilities of shaving and trimming and they still are very difficult to latch. I am concerned about breaking latches (even when putting arm weight on the top to hold it down as the latch is closed.
I have also been told that 'there is no problem'.
My question is: Have others had this problem but have suffered thru it and how did you resolve it?
I am looking into having some top seals made with a softer rubber, more like the old original soft rubber. How many would be interested in these seals or am I wasting my time en energy trying to solve this?.
I don't want to get into the 'rubber seal' business, that is not my thing but I do see the need for a product that is not a problem to use. All I want is a top seal that does not require shaving and fitting and will close easily without danger of breaking latches or pulling latch screws out of the frame.
Ken Daugherty
kend356@insightbb.com
Post generated using Mail2Forum via email.
Last edited by Ken Daugherty on Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ken Daugherty

John Sar
356 Fan

Roadster top seals

#2 Post by John Sar »

Hello Kent,

I bought 2 months ago a Roadster top seal to STODDARD.This top seal is very soft and I am sure that it is softer than actual seal I have on the top.
This seal is stamp "International mercantile".
Sure you can call Paul DOMITROVIC to Stoddard and he will help you for the best choise...I do that and it's perfect for me, Paul is a nice guy.
Great day from France,
John

Gary Leong
356 Fan

Conv D top seal

#3 Post by Gary Leong »

Ken,
I had the same problem with my new seal. I ended up spending some time hollowing out the seal with a Dremel tool. I didn't want to alter the sealing surfaces, just wanted to make the seal more pliable / easier to compress. It took multiple test fits to get it right, but now the top latches easily & seals well.
Got my seal from Pelican, but is International Merchantile stock.
Good luck!

Frederic Prince
356 Fan

#4 Post by Frederic Prince »

did you take som epict of the work you've done on the seal with the dremel ?
1991 - 1993 - 2,7 Targa
2004 - 2013 - 993 Targa
2015 - 2016 3,2 Targa '84
2008...356 roadster T5 S90
2013...2,4 E 72 Sunroof under restoration
2016...3,2 Targa '86
2018...3,2 Speedster '89

John Willhoit
356 Fan

#5 Post by John Willhoit »

We usually pre fit the seal before the top is installled. You can have a problem if the material on the top is too thick. I had an oem seal in a Porsche bag and compared it to the IM seal that I purchased last year. It was the same material, a very flexible rubber, but not a spongy open celled type material. I have installed some convertible D tops that required redrilling the holes on the latches to get them to pull down correctly.
John Willhoit
http://www.willhoitautorestoration.com
(562) 439-3333 shop
(714) 356-1735 cell