Pedal help

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Karl Slade
356 Fan

Pedal help

#1 Post by Karl Slade »

We are trying to install the pedal cluster here in Australia on the 64 Coupe .We are unsure where the shaft from the pedals fit in the tunnel and the position of the accelerator pedal as the floor was rusted out and parts were missing. Does anybody have any pictures or diagrams showing the location. As usual thanks for any replies. Karl
Karl Slade

Phil Planck
356 Fan

#2 Post by Phil Planck »

Here is where the accelerator pedal hooks up. The clutch shaft goes into the vertical slot in front of the accel hook up as I recall. This is a before picture on Foam Car - 63 T6
Phil Planck

Phil Planck
356 Fan

#3 Post by Phil Planck »

this is probably not the best picture, but it is the only one I can find. You need to do at least 2 things to get everything properly located. Before these two things, the floor pan must be repaired under the pedal cluster. There is a boomerang shaped support, with 3 studs, welded under the floor pan that the pedal cluster attaches to with 3 nuts. This is available from Stoddard. To properly locate this support, the pedal cluster must be layed on top of the floor pan and the forward protruding studs through the bulkhead must be tightened up so that the cluster is in its correct location. With this done, 3 hole are drilled through the floor pan for the lower support studs to go through. Note that the pedal cluster holes are slotted fore/aft so that the cluster can be removed and installed. As I recall, you want the 3 holes to be at the rear of the slots so that as the cluster is lifted up and pulled rearward for the bulkhead studs to come out, the 3 slots provide clearance from the vertical studs. The second thing is to locate the accelerator support bracket that is a triangular shaped channel running cross car(also available from Stoddard) just behind the pedal cluster. This bracket is welded to the top of the floor pan and has two nuts welded to it that the acclerator pedal is bolted to. I will have to look at my car to refresh myself on how this is properly located. But the above should keep you busy for a few hours. I have only done this once, so hopefully some of the pros will pipe in now that this conversation has started.
Phil Planck

Jack Staggs
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jack Staggs »

Right hand drive pedal connections and mounting are quite different. Sorry, no pics. :?

john fletcher
356 Fan

RHD pedals

#5 Post by john fletcher »

Karl, some pics. for you.

I've converted my A to RHD and took particular care with this aspect. In fact life became easy when I discovered that the factory had made small dimpled marks for the centres of all the holes in the bulhead needed for RHD. Not a lot of people know that.
There are already captive nuts for small bracket which supports the acc. shaft. similarly the holes for the swinging arm bracket are there. The end bracket for the clutch shaft will need the three holes drilling in the floor - I assume it has new floors. The toe board lower mounts are just lined up wth the sloping sides using an actual board. On mine the LH bolt for the acc. pedal is 185mm from the side wall of the tunnel.
Hope that helps.
John Fletcher

Bruce Baker
356 Fan

#6 Post by Bruce Baker »

Having never wrenched on a RHD 356, I sincerely appreciate those pictures. I drooled over the potential ease of clutch cable adjustment versus LHD.........

Oh, I noted Phil's picture shows the racer's answer to brake light switching...mechanical rather than hydraulic.

Matt Kreeve
356 Fan
Tag: truckin' on

Re: Pedal help

#7 Post by Matt Kreeve »

wow thanks for those pictures John! Very helpful!
Currently working on two nut+bolt resto's in Cape Town
'56 A RHD 5606 Silver Met) over Green - delivered Nairobi (Cooper Motor Corp)
'64 C RHD 6406 (Irisgrun) w Fawn (rehbraun) - delivered Johannesburg (Lindsay Saker)

Robin Walker
356 Fan

Re: Pedal help

#8 Post by Robin Walker »

SNV36522.JPG
For your RHD car I hope this photo may help
Robin Walker
1962 356B S90 Coupe. sold.
1964 356C Coupe RHD
1973 911S Coupe LHD
1983 924 coupe RHD