engine tin install

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Ron LaDow
356 Fan

Re: engine tin install

#16 Post by Ron LaDow »

file.jpg
file.jpg (41.36 KiB) Viewed 647 times
The side you can't see "A" attaches to the rear of the right side engine case, with the side you can't see "B" at the top.
BTW, the m6 hex bolts fastening it to the case are something like 10mm long; real short.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Richard Troy
356 Fan
Tag: Early 356 Talk Participant

#17 Post by Richard Troy »

William Renehan wrote:Hi gents this is my first post of what could be a simple issue but if someone can describe how this part goes back on (ie which way is it screwed to the case) that would be appreciated (Oil Plate Cover Bracket).
Regards
Hi William,

what a curiosity you pose! This part of which you show an image only pertains to later 3 piece case engines and it goes on the pulley end, to the right of the pulley, and bolts directly to the case via two M6 X 1.0 hex-head fasteners (10mm ATF).

The "elbow end" goes up and to the rear, away from the cylinders. Its function is to provide the attach points for the upper cylinder tin for cylinder 2 and some additional closing tinware. Be sure to use bolts that are long enough to be engaged in most of the case threads but not so long as they go all the way through. The originals are pretty darned short, though. And use a standard washer on each.

Richard
Richard Troy, http://356Coachworks.com
Land Speed Record Holder
Engine Builder / Historian / Collector / Restorer / Reproductionist
Denzel  / Rometsch / early Karmann Ghia / 356 Enthusiast
Friend of Richard V. Lukes and Harry C. Pellow

John Hawkins
356 Fan

#18 Post by John Hawkins »

William,
Welcome with your first post. The part (539-06-646) attaches to the right side of the engine case near the oil dipstick tube. (First photo). Stoddard called it the "Oil Plate Cover Bracket", but I think the parts book calls it the "support for cover plate". Trivia: On early 356A engines this attachment point was cast as part of the third piece of the case. This bracket is secured to the case by two really short M6 bolts and the cover plate (vent tube plate) is attached to the bracket by two M6 screws from the top (second photo). Note: Not all vent tubes look like the attached photo; there are a few different types of vent tubes or cover plates that attach to this bracket, depending on model and year.
Attachments
356-support for cover plate.jpg
vent tube.JPG

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#19 Post by Mike Wilson »

To confirm Brad's post (from the parts manual), the bolts holding the dipstick plate to the block are M6x10mm with a spring washer. The engine tin is attached to the top if it with two 6x12mm cheese head screws with a flat washers.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#20 Post by Jim Liberty »

Speaking of tin. I am looking for the rear tray for a 2 - piece motor. I have everything else. ........................Jim.
Jim Liberty

William Renehan
356 Fan

#21 Post by William Renehan »

Thanks gents much appreciated all very clear and a bit closer to getting the engine back together. I’m presently working on repairing a flapper box lever which was sheared off the shaft and putting a new rubber surround on the round valve.
Regards
Bill