WARNING 1956 Porsche 356 A Sunroof on ebay

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Erik Modin
356 Fan

WARNING 1956 Porsche 356 A Sunroof on ebay

#1 Post by Erik Modin »

This car was on ebay last fall and I contacted the seller. I got a sob story about the car being her late husbands and that she would sell it cheap. She (If it is a she?) then told me that we would do a secure deal thru ebay and that a person from ebay would contact me. Got an email that looked all official on a full ebay form page and sent from ebay(!), instructing me to send the money to a ebay rep via Western Union and that ebay would hold the money till I got the car. But as the saying goes -If it looks to good to be tru.... To be safe I contacted ebay customer service and they told me this is a very sofisticated on line scam that many falls for!
Erik

Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

Re: WARNING 1956 Porsche 356 A Sunroof on ebay

#2 Post by Barry Brisco »

Erik Modin wrote:This car was on ebay
Ken, you don't give a link to the ebay ad or the ebay item number, so I'm not sure exactly which car you are referring to. Is it this one?

Ebay Item number: 150240401369
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1956-Por ... dZViewItem

The seller provides very few photos and not much information. I'm not even sure if if has a 356 engine or a VW engine.
Barry Brisco
1959 356A Coupe 105553, Ivory / Brown
2009 987 Cayman, Carrera White / Beige (daily driver)

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#3 Post by Adam Wright »

That car sold on EBAY about a year ago, and was owned by a Registry member. Those pictures have been used in about 5 fake auctions in the last year.
When looking at cars on EBAY, if you are unsure of a car, email the seller and ask for his phone #. If someone is either too busy to talk on the phone than they don't deserve your many thouands of dollars. Or if they are a scammer, they normally don't want to talk to you either.

Any time I have a deal that starts to get squirrley, i.e. the seller is giving me the not so warm fuzzies, I take it back to the old school and pick up the phone. You would be amazed how quickly this weeds out the idiots.

The internet is a great place to find cars, you just have to remember to be careful. It is probably like dating on the internet, something I don't have any experience with because I met my wife before the internet. Unlike all those lucky guys today, I actually had to go into a pizza restaraunt and eat about 500 calazones, trying to get the courage up to say something cool. I don't think I ever did say anything cool, but I must have done something right, or something Wright! Because we have been together for 8 years and married for almost 4, with a baby on the way.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Neil Barrett
356 Fan

e bay 356 sunroof for sale warning

#4 Post by Neil Barrett »

I in fact started bidding on this after writing to them to ask for permission to bid And I asked some key questions one being. What engine is it and is it a VW, I got no response, then my bids along with several others were cancelled. I have had a mail from ebay saying that bids have been cancelled and to be very careful.

I also had no response from a seller on 'The Samba' black semi outlaw 356a, with woman in the pic. Called the number as soon as ad appeared and was a descent time to do so. Woman on the other end had never heard of the person or car!!. I then appeared as sale pending.

I never thought it would be so difficult to get a 356a but I will. If any one has one or knows of one for sale, dont mind a little rough around the edges and with no major rust issues and drives do please, please let me know

Kevin Wiggins
356 Fan
Tag: Fight the Power!

Re: e bay 356 sunroof for sale warning

#5 Post by Kevin Wiggins »

Neil Barrett wrote:I never thought it would be so difficult to get a 356a but I will. If any one has one or knows of one for sale, dont mind a little rough around the edges and with no major rust issues and drives do please, please let me know
You have a PM.
Fight the Power!

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

56 sunroof coupe

#6 Post by Norm Miller »

I inquired of the seller and this the reply. Sounds phony to me......................norm

I'm really sorry for this late reply but I've been very busy lately and away from a computer. The car is located in Bonifay,Fl. It has all the
papers(complete). This was my husband's car who passed away 4 months ago, it only brings me bad memories. I want this transaction to be smooth as I am caught in the middle of some very important events and I don't have much time at my disposal. The car is in perfect condition, no scratches, no special marks, no need for additional repairs what so ever, no leaks, rust free. A great car ready to be yours. It has a clear title.
The price is $8900. All shipping fees anywhere in the continental US are included. There are no other costs regarding this transaction. Regarding payment I am aware of the eBay's rules and we will use their vehicle protection service which will hold the money until you receive the 1956 Porsche 356 T1 A Coupe.
If you are interested please provide me the following informations necessary to take a decision:
-eBay user ID
-any negative feedback and if so .... for what reason
If I receive the requested information you will be informed by eBay during the next hours with details about your purchase.
Thank you,
Laura Finch

View full size
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Neil Barrett
356 Fan

#7 Post by Neil Barrett »

I got exactly the same messege x4!!

Steve Proctor
356 Fan

Nice 356A for Sale in Tucson

#8 Post by Steve Proctor »

[b]1958 mild outlaw 356A with disk brakes, Panasport wheels. Was Mike Robbins' personal car with Robbins engine and transmission. Fully sorted. Was the gray car at NMS. Don't quote me, but believe it will come in less than $40K.

Also, I was told by my bank to NEVER wire funds via Western Union. Once they leave your hands they are GONE. No way to recover. Should go bank to bank wire transfer.

STP
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757