Ebay CabNotchCabNow Mystery only a VIN could solve...

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
PaulLear
356 Fan

#1 Post by PaulLear »

Item number: 130217494776 listed today for a 1961 356 open car project. Photos don't reveal too much about the nature of the car, but the seller states:

"Was original cabriolet body, but looks like it was converted to a Karman hardtop at one point and old hardtop has been removed."

No affiliation, other than my passing interest in CabNotchMobiles.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#2 Post by Adam Wright »

If you look at the inner wheel well, you can see the tell-tale flat piece of metal, that the factory put in on Notchbacks. This is where the top frame attachment points went on the cabs. But since Notchback did not take tops, well, you get the idea.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

#3 Post by Norm Miller »

Paul,

The seller added the VIN 154861 .
eng. P605133 so it is a Reutter Cab.

Norm

Post generated using Mail2Forum via email.

Dave Mitchell
356 Fan

#4 Post by Dave Mitchell »

BTW if anybody wants it checked out I live about 20 miles from where the car is located.
Dave Mitchell
356 Registry Member #15707
Early 911S Registry Member #1287
Got Scrap? 510-715-7896

Soon to be a IM-6 Owner
http://photobucket.com/IM-6build

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#5 Post by Adam Wright »

He added the vin, but there is a catch, he says you have to weld it in yourself. Not my idea of a cab.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

David Gensler
356 Fan

#6 Post by David Gensler »

Something slightly humorous about the metalwork in this one! Anybody notice that the front half of the floor pan has been installed upside down? Will be a challenge I think to mount the pedal cluster and the nutplate for same!
DG
David Gensler

Norm Miller
356 Fan

#7 Post by Norm Miller »

Adam,

He said the VIN plate needed to be welded which I think he meant rivited as the number should be stamped on the chassis behind the spare. I can't find anything to dispute his claim as there are no significant pictures to indicate one way or the other.

Norm

Norm Miller
356 Fan

#8 Post by Norm Miller »

David,

That being said I guess the right one is also upside down!

Norm

Bill Simmeth
356 Fan

Re: Ebay CabNotchCabNow Mystery only a VIN could solve...

#9 Post by Bill Simmeth »

Norm Miller wrote:He said the VIN plate needed to be welded which I think he meant rivited as the number should be stamped on the chassis behind the spare.
Are we sure he didn't mean the stamped chassis number? Wouldn't be the first with a transplanted chassis number. Notchbacks are still perceived to be less valuable than a regualr cab so the temptation is strong I'd guess.
Bill Simmeth
Virginia Piedmont
Registry # 19506
1958 A 104252

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#10 Post by Adam Wright »

All we have to go by is the seller's words. He said the word "weld" in reference to the chassis #, not rivet. And like Bill said, the temptation is strong when chopping a notchback to just go one step further and "weld" in a cab #.
This is not the first, nor will it be the last, notchback with a new lease on life with a cab # welded in.

Since the seller did not take a picture of the VIN stamping, all we can go on is what he says in the auction.
In fact his exact words are,
"vin plate will have to be rewelded to shell"

That sounds pretty clear to me.
www.unobtanium-inc.com

George Bryan
Registry Hall of Fame

#11 Post by George Bryan »

Hi all. Listed first are some direct questions I asked the seller:

Hello, there is some confusion about your car & before I bid could you please clarify the vin information? 1. What is the number stamped on the body, in the front of the trunk, on that upraised plate @ a foot in front of the gas tank? 2. Do you mean the silver data plate with two holes in it (located to the left of the tank as you look at it) is that what you think needs to be welded on? 3. Is the number on the silver plate and the number stamped in the body the same? 4. This appears to be a notchback that somebody tried to make into a cab...not a cab someone tried to make a notchback out of...please send the numbers I requested & a pic if possible of the raised number place in the front trunk.Thanks.

Here is the answer I got back:

"Now I am confused. I have the title indicating the car is a cab, the vin number plate on the body (that is what needs to be welded back on), and the silver plate.

Given the confusion and I do not wish to incorreclty list the vehicle I have owend for the past ten years, I can not guarantee if it was a cab to notchback, or nothcback to cab.

Accordingly I am going to stop the auction immediately.

If you are still interested in the car, let me know and see if we can agree on a price. If so, I can list as a "Buy Now" price. I will say that the parts alone are worth $25K+, so, I won't take less than $25K for the whole car. "

- richardt916

So, IMHO, If there is a vin plate to be welded into the body, this does not bode well since welding a VIN number is an act that puts you afoul o' da' law.

Doesn't sound like a crook, just unaware, but regardless, he has moved up toward the top of my favorite comedians list. $25k.....must be the upside down pan that is the value added or the rare cab to notchback conversion.

Regards,
George