Toilet paper oil filter

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Ashley Page
356 Fan

Re: Toilet paper oil filter

#16 Post by Ashley Page »

Chuck_House wrote:Generating some test traffic to post a photo... Pictures are great. Anybody seen a TP oil filter? Yes, it uses a TP roll as a filter element. Here was one on my early Speedster when I picked it up.
I remember those from years ago. I will venture out here to guess that this thing, being designed and flow tested around the old technology TP from when folks butts were tougher, would not carry the recommendation of the inventor / manufacturer to use today's TP designed for today's soft butt couch potatoes. This stuff that passes for TP today would probably disintegrate with the first high pressure blast of hot Brad Penn. Then you would need to whip out your miniature plunger to unstop the oil lines and oil galleys - hoping all the while that you caught it soon enough to save the engine.

Now if you could score some of the good 'ol tough institutional TP from a government surplus auction that might work.

Ashley Page
356 Fan

#17 Post by Ashley Page »

BTW, you do have the miniature plunger that came with it? Otherwise its not worth much at auction; without the accessories.

TP oil filter

#18 Post by Guest »

Back in the 70s I had Frantz oil filters on my VWs. These are TP filters that do an amazing job of cleaning your oil. They are bypass filters just like the ones on our 356s. I never put one on a 356 but it would be very easy to do, although it might involve some thread adapters.
You can still buy them, just google Frantz oil filter and it will take you to their site.