Overrider bumper guard stud types

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Gerry McCarthy
356 Fan

A overrider nuts

#16 Post by Gerry McCarthy »

Barry and All:
The A over rider is mounted at the bumper face with a standard DIN 934 M8 nut. It is mounted to the "towel rack" (bumper protection tube) by a DIN 986 M6 nut. All mounting hardware use flat and split lock washers under the nuts. The overrider-to- bumper nuts use oversize OD flat washers, DIN 9021 M8, as do the tube brace-to frame bolts, rear only. all other flat washers ar stadard OD, DIN 125 (M6 or8). All lock washers are split-type, DIN 127, not the wave washers, DIN 137.
DIN 986 nuts, which are made in 2 pieces, very much like a nylon lock nut, with an aluminum cap in place of the nylon ring, are not available today from hardware suppliers (like MMCC). The Porsche part number for the M6 size is 900.085.002.02. It is in the 2008 price book, but might be on for-ever back-order. The studs were never available separately from Porsche, so, have no part number. The lower,M8 stud would be DIN939 With the "grip length" (the length protuding from the casting). The upper "stepped" stud would have to be machined. Start wth a 939 M8 stud of appropriate length, machine and thread one end. All this is straight from the "A" parts book,and I had some time to kill. Hope it helps someone.
KTF
Gerry Mc

Dave Whittick
356 Fan

Re: Overrider bumper guard stud types

#17 Post by Dave Whittick »

Bringing this thread back. I'm looking for a source for replacement studs for my C bumper guards. I'd appreciate any leads.

Tom Scott
356 Fan

#18 Post by Tom Scott »

The studs for C model bumper guards are standard 8 mm x 1.25, refer to the parts manual for the length.

Tom

Steve Proctor
356 Fan

#19 Post by Steve Proctor »

Maybe 10-15 years ago, I had the stepped upper studs machined out of stainless steel and sold many sets of them. I used an original one as a template. Sold a bunch to Grey Eagle who was restoring original bumper guards at the time. Might be a good project for someone with the need and the time / resources.
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757

Albert Tiedemann
356 Fan

Re: Bumper Guard Studs / Acorns

#20 Post by Albert Tiedemann »

Steve Proctor wrote:I am out of the stud / nut business and have a few originals left that are not for sale. I recommend Bob Chase in Bakersfield for nice replacement studs and Ab for his replacement nuts. They are a nice combination for most cars (not super-anal restorations).

STP
The nut that I furnish is correct except for the finish. If you read my classified, you will find that the original ones were cadmium plated, otherwise this nut is as specified. Anal types could have them replated, but to fit the standard acorn nut, offered by other Suppliers, would be more of an eyesore. I made the stepped studs on my Speedster from a more practical material for the application, stainless steel. Practical from the standpoint of having another base metal plated in small quantity. The M8 standard nuts used on all bumpers with the uprights [standard and US with overridder, no exhaust exit] were the same and Zn plated. Fronts were used for the rear LF and RR [same part] RF and LR[same part]. You can tell the difference because the location of the smaller notch for the bumper trim is different. The nut used on the rear US uprights with the funnel exit for the exhaust was a special nut 60 mm long with 8mm thread. The ones on my '59 were 14 mm hex and turned down to the inscribed diameter of the hex for a short length. If I made these today, I would fashion from stainless steel for the same reason above. I am not certain of the plating that was used--most likely Zn.
Albert Tiedemann, C356C
"The Hermit"