Vent Window for A, B and C

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Aldo Formiconi
356 Fan

#1 Post by Aldo Formiconi »

Hello members,
Can anyone please tell me if the door vent window frames are all the same for the A, B and C coupe? If they are different, are at least the glass all the same?
Any help is appreciated.
Thank you
Aldo

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#2 Post by Ron LaDow »

Aldo,

"Hello members,
Can anyone please tell me if the door vent window frames are all
the same for the A, B and C coupe? If they are different, are at
least the glass all the same?
Any help is appreciated.
Thank you
Aldo"

Vent windows showed up ~1960, I think.
Thanks,
Ron LaDow

Post generated using Mail2Forum via email.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Aldo Formiconi
356 Fan

#3 Post by Aldo Formiconi »

OK, Thank you Ron, thank you Barry,

Let me formulate my question again.
I believe that the vent windows appeared first on the AT2 model Cab.
My question is if the vent windows glass from the A, B, C Cab and all Cupes are the same. (I know that the Cab and Coupe frame is not the same).
My second question is if the vent window frames for the BT5 and BT6 coupes are all the same.
Thanks
Aldo

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#4 Post by Ron LaDow »

Aldo,

"OK, Thank you Ron, thank you Barry,

Let me formulate my question again.
I believe that the vent windows appeared first on the AT2 model Cab.
My question is if the vent windows glass from the A, B, C Cab and
all Cupes are the same. (I know that the Cab and Coupe frame is not
the same).
My second question is if the vent window frames for the BT5 and BT6
coupes are all the same.
Thanks
Aldo"

I can't honestly answer those questions. A guy who can is Jim B. at EASY. He might check in a bit later or you could PM him through the forum
Thanks,
Ron LaDow

Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

#5 Post by Guest »

Aldo,
A models did not have vent windows. There were subtle
changes from year to year.

Alan

Aldo Formiconi wrote:
Hello members,
Can anyone please tell me if the door vent window frames are all the
same for the A, B and C coupe? If they are different, are at least the
glass all the same?
Any help is appreciated.
Thank you
Aldo

-------------------- m2f --------------------

To contact an administrator admin@356registry.com
<mailto:admin@356registry.com>
To unsubscribe go to http://www.356registry.com/forum/m2f_usercp.php
Read this topic online here:
http://356registry.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 3896#33896

-------------------- m2f --------------------

Jim Alton
356 Fan

#6 Post by Jim Alton »

Vent windows did appear with the 356A T2 Cabriolet. Mine definitely has vent windows.

The vent glass part # for a 356A Cab is

644 542 051 30 SIDE GLASS COMPLETE WITH LATCH /L
644 542 052 30 SIDE GLASS COMPLETE WITH LATCH /R

For a 356B T5 (Cab our Coupe if I read the book correctly) it's the same part number:

644 542 051 30 SIDE GLASS COMPLETE WITH LATCH /L 356 B-T5
644 542 052 30 SIDE GLASS COMPLETE WITH LATCH /R 356 B-T5

But for the T6 bodies it's:

644 542 051 26 SIDE GLASS COMPLETE WITH LATCH /L 356 B-T6 356 C
644 542 052 26 SIDE GLASS COMPLETE WITH LATCH /R 356 B-T6 356 C

Jim Alton
Los Angeles County, CA
1958 Porsche 356A Cabriolet
1965 Porsche 911 Coupé
1966 Volkswagen Type 2
2003 Porsche 986 Boxster

Jack Staggs
356 Fan

#7 Post by Jack Staggs »

"A" model GTs often had vent windows

Bruce Baker
356 Fan

#8 Post by Bruce Baker »

OK, guys. It would be good to roust Jim, but I'll add my $3.56 (for inflation) in the mean time.

I have a '58 Cab in the shop with vent windows. There is a PHOTO section exploded view (rather than drawings) of vent windows in my A parts book for Coupes, as brought along in late A production. A few years ago, I had an original late A Coupe in my shop with vent windows. No sign of retrofit.

The difference between Coupe and Cabriolet vent frames and glass is at the top rear corner. The Coupe curves up to a direct sharp angle from the chromed top pivot channel to the trailing vertical edge and the Cab has a double angle from pivot channel to the vertical edge with a short top flat area to meet the side/ top seal. The Cab vent frame is stand-alone (no roll-up/down door glass frame above or at the rear) and the Coupe is a continuous frame incorporating the thinner vertical frame addition to what had been the A version.

Small details also evolved in fittings and hardware from T-5>T-6, like the locking inner vent handle, the configuration of the pivots at the top... but as far as I know there was one vent glass number for Coupes and one for Cabs (but I'm home and don't have my books at hand).

I.e., one side had the etched logo inside, the other outside, just like the roll-up door glass. The previous posting with a left and a right vent glass included the necessarily left or right hardware.

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: SF Giants Fan

Re: Vent Window for A, B and C

#9 Post by Jim Breazeale »

Aldo Formiconi wrote:Hello members,
Can anyone please tell me if the door vent window frames are all the same for the A, B and C coupe? If they are different, are at least the glass all the same?
Any help is appreciated.
Thank you
Aldo
Aldo

Vent window frames are not all the same. It has been pointed out that As did not have vent windows (in Coupes). That is true, except for late 356A Carrera GTs.

Sorry for the lousy picture of a 59 Carrera GT. It is a picture of a picture hanging in my office.
All 356Bs and 356Cs had vent windows (except Roadsters)
T5 356Bs had the upper hinge made out of flat stock and riveted to the main window frame.

356B T6 cars "upgraded" the upper hinge to a more elegant hinge.

356 Cabriolets are a slightly different story.

Regards
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com
www.facebook.com/pages/European-Auto-Salvage-Yard-EASY/120458108029410

Bruce Baker
356 Fan

#10 Post by Bruce Baker »

Always nice to have pictures.

My posting last night mentioned "no books handy" and today's glance shows A Cabs from #150 001> ('58>) having frames and vent glass and the Coupe page being as Jim sez, GT and Plexi panes. I'll lamely point out that for the right amount of money, ANY A Coupe could have been so equipped......

OK, and a late A Coupe that looked untouched rolled through here several years ago with glass vent windows, very early B style......but the man's question was if the glass for those vents were the same.......

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: SF Giants Fan

#11 Post by Jim Breazeale »

Bruce Baker wrote:Always nice to have pictures.

My posting last night mentioned "no books handy" and today's glance shows A Cabs from #150 001> ('58>) having frames and vent glass and the Coupe page being as Jim sez, GT and Plexi panes. I'll lamely point out that for the right amount of money, ANY A Coupe could have been so equipped......

OK, and a late A Coupe that looked untouched rolled through here several years ago with glass vent windows, very early B style......but the man's question was if the glass for those vents were the same.......
Bruce

The glass is all the same for coupes and a different glass is used in all Cabriolets. For all the Authenticity Cops out there, there are 2 different manufacturers/suppliers for the vent glass......Durvit and Securit and for the really anal Authenticity Cops, there are different versions of the logos. Bruce, Thank you for pointing out the fact that the logo is only on one side of the glass. I have had people insist that the logo should be on the inside of the glass and refuse to beleive that the logo is printed on only one side of, both the roll-up glass and the vent glass. That is one of the things that many of the 356 community have never noticed! Don't believe it? Go look for yourself.

Regards
Last edited by Jim Breazeale on Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com
www.facebook.com/pages/European-Auto-Salvage-Yard-EASY/120458108029410

Bruce Baker
356 Fan

#12 Post by Bruce Baker »

Off glass and on to rubber, what you say about typical lack of understanding or noticing, Jim, happened again last week. A fresh resto returned with some paint damage and the owner thought to complain about the "cree-thunk" when the door was closed. I carefully explained.

OK, for those possibly unaware...that's a noise that is SUPPOSED to happen when there is a new, viable rubber door check in place on a T-2>.

So many 356ers either never heard that noise or forgot it was part of the "originality." I have to admit that many of my 356s in the '60s and '70s, already 10-20 years old, were missing that interesting noise. Oh well, can't take a picture of noise....so put out the next batch on Cab door vent nuances....

tom collingwood
356 Fan

#13 Post by tom collingwood »

i have a 1959 door with vent window.

the window regulator is dated 6/59.

how can i tell if it is a coupe or cabrio door?
Is the door shell the same on coupe and cabrio? with only window frame being different?

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#14 Post by David Jones »

Coupes had a window surround and no vent window and cabrios only had a vent widow and no surround of chrome for the main window glass. I could go out and take a picture of both but I am feeling lazy so you will have to take my word for it.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

tom collingwood
356 Fan

#15 Post by tom collingwood »

David Jones wrote:Coupes had a window surround and no vent window and cabrios only had a vent widow and no surround of chrome for the main window glass. I could go out and take a picture of both but I am feeling lazy so you will have to take my word for it.
Thanks! I figured my window frame had to be coupe.

Which means, I have a very rare passenger side 6/59 coupe vent window door with regulator.