Should I use sealant for rear windshield?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Rafik Dous
Classifieds Moderator

Should I use sealant for rear windshield?

#1 Post by Rafik Dous »

I am about to replace the rubber on the rear screen, should I use any sealant when putting the new rubber on? Rubber <-> screen or rubber <-> frame?
Thanks
Rafik

Jerry Haussler
356 Fan

Re: Should I use sealant for rear windshield?

#2 Post by Jerry Haussler »

Rafik Dous wrote:I am about to replace the rubber on the rear screen, should I use any sealant when putting the new rubber on? Rubber <-> screen or rubber <-> frame?
Thanks
Rafik
i don't think the factory used anything when the cars were originally built. however, i understand the currently available seals are not as good. i am not suggesting what to do one way or the other. if you do decide to go this route, there is a commercially available glazing compound available that works well. check w/ your local auto glass shop.
HTH
best
jerry

Roy Smalley
356 Fan

Window sealant

#3 Post by Roy Smalley »

Sealant is a two edged sword. In my opinion if the seal flange on the body is solid, free from rust and gunk that would prevent the seal from taking a good set, there should be no real need for a sealant.

Sealant is difficult to apply uniformly and can(will) become a trap for water and we all know what happens then. I have seen a lot more cars with the front and rear window areas rusted out where sealant was used, than original with none that have minor to no rust.

Roy Smalley 1544 Texas www.eurowerks.com

Ron Hoff
356 Fan

#4 Post by Ron Hoff »

There is a product called "Captain Tolleys Creeping Crack Cure" which I find at your local West Marine store. This stuff works like a champ! It will find a leak and seal it virtually every time. So it might be best to install your new seals dry and see if any leak is present. If a leak is found then just treat just that area necessary. Boats are known for leaks so if this stuff is good there there isn't any reason I can think of it wouldn't work equally well on a car.

Just my $.0356.
Ron Hoff
NW Oregon