Carb pump rod orientation on Zeniths

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Albert Tiedemann
356 Fan

#2 Post by Albert Tiedemann »

The pump rod is on upside down. I do not care how many carburetors Harry Bieker has built. This is not correct. The explanation for putting the left hand nut on the bottom follows logic. Postulate that most folks think every thread is a RH thread. When viewed from the top, a counterclockwise rotation[..."lefty loosy, righty tighty"" sometimes heard in the trade] of either nut will produce a loosening and this is fail safe. As installed, the loosening action will make the joint tighter and result in a possible bending of the small diameter [3mm] rod.

For those of you that have made this error, do not fret. I offer repair pieces for the assembly. This means that you do not have to buy the whole thing from Stoddard, et al.

I have not seen any factory photograph of the shown position. But, then I have not been looking as long as Harry or possibly Al Zim since he self acknolwedges he is 102. Please advise if there is one and where it might be found. I have to look at a cited reference on another issue regarding headlight rivets.

addendum: I also noticed that the assembly shown is set-up for the left side mounting as viewed in the direction of forward motion, but the housing for the right side has been fit [PO2R]?? A lot of possibilities here, especially if the thottle bore shaft has been removed. I would start by checking to see if the apertures in the throttle plate base line up.
Last edited by Albert Tiedemann on Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Albert Tiedemann, C356C
"The Hermit"

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#3 Post by Ron LaDow »

Brien,
The image didn't come through on the List, but if you check the 'old media' (like the magazine, two issues ago), you'll find an article which specifies the fitting of that rod.
Left hand threads down, lower end points "in" toward carb, upper end points "out", away from carb. Ab's probably right about the reason, and the same is true of the drop links to the carbs; left to the bottom.
Thanks,
Ron LaDow

----- Original Message -----
To: 356talk@356registry.com
Subject: [356Talk] Carb pump rod orientation on Zeniths
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 19:37:15 -0700

Here is my current setup.
Any comments on the accelerator pump rod orientation?
Is there a better way?
TIA

------------------------
Brian O'Kelly
Paso Robles, California, USA

Thanks,
Ron LaDow
Post generated using Mail2Forum via email.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Michael Eker

#4 Post by Michael Eker »

Looks like you have some springs missing too:

Michael Eker

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#5 Post by Ron LaDow »

If that's Brien's photo, I can't see the missing spring, but the hardware is not for a 356. Throttle lever, fuel inlet and what looks like an aircleaner bracket; Benz?
Thanks,
Ron LaDow

----- Original Message -----
To: 356talk@356registry.com
Subject: [356Talk] Re: Carb pump rod orientation on Zeniths
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 08:46:57 -0700

Looks like you have some springs missing too:

[Image: http://www.postimage.org/aV2X1nh0.jpg ]
(http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aV2X1nh0)

Michael Eker

Post generated using Mail2Forum via email.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Michael Eker

#6 Post by Michael Eker »

There should be two anti rattle springs, behind the washer and the Rubig "R" clip.

Porsche part no: 616-100-810-00

http://www.rubig.com/index.cfm/sprache/ ... hte_at.htm

The carb in the photois off a Steyr Puch Model 500

Meker