Crankshaft Grinders

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Ben Sherman
356 Fan

Crankshaft Grinders

#1 Post by Ben Sherman »

WHoa, my first try smoked out, so I will try a different way
I tried to find a good, drop in crank, from some of the listers. I appreciated some of my responce, but they all needed to be reground - my worst fear.
Who's good? Dr 356 Weiss, likes CMC, out of California, but his price to regrind a crank was something like $630 + shipping!! Yikes, have prices gone through the roof or what!
I know there is a lot to do with radiusing, nitriding, etc and I know many of our cranks are heading down hill to 20/20, 30/30.40/40 and beyond. Would appreciate some feedback on who's good, who's reasonable. Eventually, all of us out there in crank-land will evetually have to know.
Ben Sherman

Jake Raby
356 Fan

#2 Post by Jake Raby »

Ben,
I have had great results with the crank grinding processes we have been working to perfect. With most of the cranks being at least 20/20 today re-heat treating is necessary and even some welding processes can be as well.

I see no reason why anyone should be charging 600 bucks or more to do this work, even with the Ion Nitriding process that we use the price is no where near that!

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

Crankshaft Grinders

#3 Post by Norm Miller »

Bem,

Try Painter's Grinding in Denver. Sorry I don't have their number.

Norm

Post generated using Mail2Forum via email.

Jon Wright
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jon Wright »

Ben: I would have confidence in Jake Raby. He is knowledgeable and experienced. Although, I have not had work by him YET, I will as soon as I tear down my engine'SSS (yep, three of them).

lee whistler
356 Fan

Crank

#5 Post by lee whistler »

I don't know what you need. I have a C crank and rods with bearings, .10 under. I had it magnafluxed and it passed.

Let me know if this will work.

Lee
Lee