Width of belt trim on a D

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Rafik Dous
Classifieds Moderator

Width of belt trim on a D

#1 Post by Rafik Dous »

What is the correct width of the belt chrome moulding on a D? Mine came with a new set in the box which measures about 10mm. The original holes are about 7mm already so it doesn't leave much room for the 10mm chrome moulding. The moulding looks like cheap repro, where can I find a decent set to buy?
Thanks
Rafik

Chuck House
Registry Hall of Fame

Re: Width of belt trim on a D

#2 Post by Chuck House »

Rafik Dous wrote:What is the correct width of the belt chrome moulding on a D? Mine came with a new set in the box which measures about 10mm. The original holes are about 7mm already so it doesn't leave much room for the 10mm chrome moulding. The moulding looks like cheap repro, where can I find a decent set to buy?
Thanks
Rafik
Rafik,

The width of the original side spear molding on my D is slightly larger than 13mm - approx 13.2mm although I'm sure there is slight variation as it is just a decorative piece. You can buy a decent repo set through Stoddards.
Chuck House
Southern California

Rafik Dous
Classifieds Moderator

#3 Post by Rafik Dous »

Thanks Chuck, do you know if they were flat and have to be "shaped" or they actually came curved to suit the body shape?

Chuck House
Registry Hall of Fame

#4 Post by Chuck House »

Rafik Dous wrote:Thanks Chuck, do you know if they were flat and have to be "shaped" or they actually came curved to suit the body shape?
The new side spears are straight and must be adjusted to fit to the body. I'm sure the originals were the same. Make sure each piece fits the body contour perfectly before installing the clips in the holes and snapping the moldings on. Also it is good to use a slight bit of lubricant on the clips because if you push too hard when trying to snap the moldings on you will easily create a small dent at the hole. Also be carful installing the clips in the holes. Don't use a screwdriver or you will likely end up scratching the paint. I use a wood paint stick, like a popcicle stick. The pieces at each fender should have a T-bolt nearest the door. The front fender pieces have an angle cut at the front door edge to match the door molding. The rear pieces have a straight cut at the end near the door.
Chuck House
Southern California