Fuel tank vent

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Gordon Watkins
356 Fan

Fuel tank vent

#1 Post by Gordon Watkins »

Can someone explain how the vent functions inside the tank for a T6B, top sender? I'm preparing to reinstall mine after sealing it and when I run a rod through the vent tube to make sure it's clear, the rod stops about 10" in. Does the vent have some sort of valve on the inside? Does the vent turn at some point? I'm hesitant to blow compressed air in because if there is debris I'd rather not blow it into the tank.

Also, what's the routing of the vent hose once it leaves the tank? I know it goes through the right fender well but then what?

TIA,
Gordon Watkins
Gordon Watkins
1963 356B Super Coupe w/912/SC engine
1986 911 Carrera

Mike Smith
356 Fan
Tag: Its Only for Fun

#2 Post by Mike Smith »

Put your hand inside the tank and feel where the Vent Exit is - you will feel a perforated plate

If it is no longer perforated it is bunged up with sealer

The Vent tube should be a Plain Rubber Tube - Not Cotton Wrapped

Sitting in the Drivers seat - It runs from the back of the tank towards the Right Hand Inner Wing and then Forward to a point just in front of the tank

Here it connects to a Small Tube (1/2" o/d - ?) which has a bend in it
(30 or 45 degrees -?) and this in turn exits through the boot floor just in front of the tank - there is a grommet around this small tube where it exits thru the floor
Mike Smith (Essex - UK)

Mike Smith
356 Fan
Tag: Its Only for Fun

#3 Post by Mike Smith »

Sorry - 2 x Mistakes

Its a RHD Thing - A T6 B in the UK still has the old rectangular tank, so my above comments are correct for Rectangular Tanks

However, a LHD - T6B has the new Flat Tank with Wing Filling
(RHD cars did not get `something similar` until a couple of 100 cars from the end of production - Mark Merz has one For Sale - See Classifieds 26th March - worth looking at to see how very different they are)

I am not sure if the perforated plate arrangement is the same inside the fuel tank - my guess would be `Probably` - you are going ro have to blow through it - to check if it is clear

The flexible pipe attaches to a hard vent pipe which is located and clipped under the Right Hand wheel arch - the unit is a fairly complcated shape

This is all shown in the B Suppliment Parts List - Illustration 4/1A - (happy to fax you a copy if you PM me)

Finally Dale tells me that the pipe size is probably around 8 mm not the 1/2" that I guessed at

Moral of all this is - I must check my facts before engaging my typing finger
Mike Smith (Essex - UK)