1957 speedster- ? light flasher on steering wheel ?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
chub chub

1957 speedster- ? light flasher on steering wheel ?

#1 Post by chub chub »

Hello, I'm in the process of rewiring a 356 speedster for a customer. I can't figure out if I am missing any pieces to the light flasher/horn ring set up. The horn ring has two contact tabs on the back that sort of spring the bottom of the ring away from the column. the top of the ring can flop around and the whole ring spins somewhat freely.
Does anyone have a blow apart assembly/parts diagram that they can post?
Here is what I have...

thanks,
-scott

Tom Tate
356 Fan
Tag: Boston MA

#2 Post by Tom Tate »

Scott,
The metal cup in your left hand should have a tab on the inside to fasten one wire to (horn wire). The other wire goes to the back of the crested plastic button. That's the light flash. KTF

chub chub

#3 Post by chub chub »

Thanks Tom. As far as the horn ring goes, i was told it needs a foam type seal between the ring and the cup. When I do that, it pushes the horn ring against the steering wheel. With the cup against the wheel, there is no action for it to move when you press on it. Without the foam, the button has too much slop and spins freely.
?When you press on the horn ring, what pieces should touch or seperate to make or break contact and sound the horn?
Right now I have a piece of rubber around the back of the horn ring which precents it from making contact with the sides of the inner steering wheel. Then there are the two copper tabs on the back of the horn ring which make constant contact to the bottom v sides of the steering wheel...

...but then the top of the horn ring has nothing to prevent it from bouncing freely. What keeps the horn ring seperated from the steering wheel, allowing you to push on it and sound the horn??
-scott

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

#4 Post by Norm Miller »

The wheel is missing two pins at 3 & 9:00 position.
These keep the horn ring from rotating.

Norm

chub chub

#5 Post by chub chub »

Thanks Norm. Is there anything special about the design? Do they have a spring that helps space the ring from the wheel or tabs that the ring pivots on? Or is it just a straight pin that aligns the holes in the ring with the holes in the wheel? If that's the case, can I just make one out of a nail or pop rivet?
Again, if anyone has any pictures or diagrams they could share, that would be terriffic.
-scott

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

#6 Post by Norm Miller »

I'll take a picture tonight and post it with the dimensions of the pins.

Norm