Piping on Speedster Seats

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Michael Kresse
356 Fan

#1 Post by Michael Kresse »

Dear List,

I am currently restoring my Speedster seats, which were upholstered in black vinyl.

There was no piping on these seats. However, in most pictures that I see of restored cars, the seats have a piping (most of them appear to be upholstered in leather). In other pictures, there is no piping on the seats. What is original/correct ?

Thank you for your advice.

Mike
Michael Kresse
Registry #18729

'63 Coupe
'57 Speedster

Larry Wilson
356 Fan

Re: Piping on Speedster Seats

#2 Post by Larry Wilson »

zzzzzzzzzzz
Last edited by Larry Wilson on Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chuck House
Registry Hall of Fame

#3 Post by Chuck House »

According to page 2 of Circular Letter 9/57, dated May 14th, 1957 (these were information letters which went to the dealers), you couldn't even get leather in Speedsters as a special option. Not sure if you waived enough money in front of them at the time that they may not have made an exception but no leather option at all was the official stance.

Chuck House
Southern California

Bil Brown
356 Fan

Piping on Speedster seats

#4 Post by Bil Brown »

I`m rebuilding my original Speedster seat that has the original material, black leatherette with red piping. The piping is a solid plastic/vinyl material that is approx 3/32" O.D. Does anyone supply that piping? What is used on the seats that Autos Intl re-covers? I`ll get a pic up later of the piping..........Bill Brown
Bill Brown

Bill Favors
356 Fan

#5 Post by Bill Favors »

Larry,

Did your car come with the charcoal carpet originally? Very nice looking.
If so, what color were:
Steering column
Top frame,
Steering wheel
Dash knobs
Regards,
Bill

Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2008 4:16 PM
To: 356talk@356registry.com
Subject: [356Talk] Re: Piping on Speedster Seats

Hi Mike:

Unless a special order, only leatherette used in Speedster interior (no leather) -- see page 72, PORSCHE SPEEDSTER TYP 540 by Steve Heinrichs, et al.

Seat piping color correlated with body color -- see pages 77 and 240-245, PORSCHE SPEEDSTER TYP 540 by Steve Heinrichs, et al.

See attached photo of my signal red Speedster with red piping by Autos International exactly as they originally appeared.

Good luck!

Larry Wilson
http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aV2iSYrr

Post generated using Mail2Forum via email.

Larry Wilson
356 Fan

#6 Post by Larry Wilson »

Hi Bill,

My car is a 1955 model (Pre-A). The colors originally were:

Carpet - charcoal (according to the COA)

Steering column - black

Top frame - beige

Steering wheel - lighter beige

Dash knobs - beige

I had the paint store match a clean patch on the back side of the steering wheel hub to get the color for the steering wheel. Then my younger son sanded it down, filled in the cracks with body filler, and shot it with PPG. The paint is holding up very well with no scratches or cracking. We installed the carpet kit from Autos International -- went in very easy. I shipped the seats to them to repair cracks and breaks in the buckets before recovering. They were a mess. I'm very happy with their work. All the knobs age and change color differently. I left them alone. Gear shift knob looks like green snot. That's my concession to patina.

Larry

Bil Brown
356 Fan

#7 Post by Bil Brown »

Larry.........is the piping on your Speedster seats that Autos Intl covered, a solid material, or leatherette vinyl sewn around a cord? What is the O.D. of the piping?....Thanks.....Bill
Bill Brown

Larry Wilson
356 Fan

#8 Post by Larry Wilson »

Hi Bill,

I don't know whether Autos International made the piping solid, or wrapped around a thread, or its OD measurement.

Why not contact Augustin at AI? Their website is http://www.autosintl.com/ and email is info@autosintl.com

Larry Wilson

Jerry Haussler
356 Fan

Re: Piping on Speedster seats

#9 Post by Jerry Haussler »

bil brown wrote:Larry.........is the piping on your Speedster seats that Autos Intl covered, a solid material, or leatherette vinyl sewn around a cord? What is the O.D. of the piping?....Thanks.....Bill
Bill;
someone was advertising "correct" vinyl piping in the classified ads in the Registry 8-10 years ago. IIRC, the party in question had a run made up. 3MM ? i don't recall, but his ads did include the ID spec.
HTH
cheers
jerry