rear window trim

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Christopher Jensen
356 Fan

rear window trim

#1 Post by Christopher Jensen »

The trim pieces I have for the rear window seem very long for the glass. When placed along the glass/rubber they overlap (about 3 1/4 inches over lap at both ends)
Is it normal to have to cut to fit, or do I have the wrong parts?

When I installed the trim pieces for the windsheild I had to start with all ends touching, otherwize it would overlap about a quarter inch. I have not installed the windsheild yet so I am not sure how at all this may effect the fit.

Christopher Jensen
1963 356 t6 cpe 60 karmann

Chuck House
Registry Hall of Fame

Re: rear window trim

#2 Post by Chuck House »

Christopher Jensen wrote:The trim pieces I have for the rear window seem very long for the glass.

When I installed the trim pieces for the windsheild I had to start with all ends touching, otherwize it would overlap about a quarter inch. I have not installed the windsheild yet so I am not sure how at all this may effect the fit.

Christopher Jensen
A slight bit of trimming on the ends is normal (better to get new trim which is too long than too short). When fully installed, the trim should have a small gap - 1/4 inch or so. The two small trim end pieces then get installed to cover the split/gap. If you force the trim to fit by butting the ends and thus pushing out the rubber at the bends, you may run into issues when trying to install on the body. Make sure the rubber is fully seated on the glass, then make sure the trim goes in the slit with the corners in the right spot. Trim the center ends to give a small gap, install the end pieces then install the entire assembly in the body as outlined before.

If at anytime you feel this is getting over your head, call a glass guy to install. It's cheaper than buying a new front glass.
Chuck House
Southern California

Dave Wildrick
356 Fan

Re: rear window trim

#3 Post by Dave Wildrick »

Christopher Jensen wrote:The trim pieces I have for the rear window seem very long for the glass. When placed along the glass/rubber they overlap (about 3 1/4 inches over lap at both ends)

Christopher Jensen
With new aluminum trim from Stoddard, to get the ends to meet properly, I had to hacksaw off about half an inch from both the right and left trim pieces I bought there a couple years ago. Good idea to keep your old ones for referencing the correct length.
Dave Wildrick
Houston, TX
64C coupe
65C coupe

Christopher Jensen
356 Fan

Windsheild and rear window

#4 Post by Christopher Jensen »

RE: Windsheild
Is it better to install the dash peice AFTER installing the windsheild?
RE: Rear Window
I have already installed the rear pannel and defrost tube.
Is this going to be a problem when I install the rear window?

Christopher
1963 356 coupe t6 Karmann

Christopher Jensen
356 Fan

Glass

#5 Post by Christopher Jensen »

Thanks for sharing your experience. With your help and a little patience the glass is in and looks great!