Porsche Factory Delivery

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Peter Jordan
356 Fan

Porsche Factory Delivery

#1 Post by Peter Jordan »

My wife and I are considering visiting the Porsche Factory to get a tour and see the museum (including the 356s). Has anyone on the forum recently taken delivery of a new Porsche at the factory? If so, would you share your recommendations and experiences (positive and negative). Thanks, Peter Jordan
Peter Jordan
59 Coupe Silver

Robert Kenton
356 Fan

Re: Porsche Factory Delivery

#2 Post by Robert Kenton »

Peter Jordan wrote:My wife and I are considering visiting the Porsche Factory to get a tour and see the museum (including the 356s). Has anyone on the forum recently taken delivery of a new Porsche at the factory? If so, would you share your recommendations and experiences (positive and negative). Thanks, Peter Jordan
Not recently, but my wife and I did this in 1985 (with a 944). Altogether a pleasurable experience, at least then. I recall they treated us like VIP's, with a great lunch in their executive dining room. The rule of thumb used to be that you could save enough $ on Euro. delivery to pay for the trip; hard to know if that's still true with the high value of the Euro relative to the USD. We had a great two weeks driving the car around Bavaria, Switzerland, and Austria, then returned the car back to Zuffenhausen for shipment back to the US, which took about 6 wks. One thing you need to realize is that in most of the small towns and even cities in Europe (at least where we were), protected overnight parking as we would define it over here, was usually not available, and the overnights were hence a constant worry, tho we had no probs. I doubt that that has changed. I recall the Porsche guy who delivered the car to us at the factory, gave us a final warning as we drove away, saying basically not to take the car to Amsterdam, or the radio or car may be stolen there, and to not take it into Italy at all, or the car WILL (not may) be stolen! Funny (in a pathetic sort of way) - I wonder if that's changed?
Hope someone else chimes in with a more recent experience. Good Luck!
Robert W. Kenton

Michael Cass
356 Fan

#3 Post by Michael Cass »

Peter Jordan wrote:My wife and I are considering visiting the Porsche Factory to get a tour and see the museum (including the 356s). Has anyone on the forum recently taken delivery of a new Porsche at the factory? If so, would you share your recommendations and experiences (positive and negative). Thanks, Peter Jordan
Hi Peter

I did a factory tour and visited the museum about 2 and a bit years ago. We did not take factory delivery and I was under the inpression that if you wanted to do a factory delivery then you should notify the dealer of that requirement when you are ordering your car. If like us you do not wish to take factory delivery you can still do a factory tour. You will need to prebook your Factory tour as spaces are limited. The way you will do this is by contacting Porsche Cars North America and getting them to arrange it for you. The museum required no booking when we visited as it was open to the public on weekdays.

Here is a link to another area of the 356 talk forum where we were discussing this very topic last week and gives a few more car things that you might like to do while you are in southern Germany. A carlovers paradise! http://356registry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=534

Cheers

Michael.
59 Porsche 356A Coupe
59 VW Kombi
60 VW kombi x2
61 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe
92 BMW E30 325i Convertible (at least it's German)
02 Toyota Townace SBV ( aka. The Unspeakable)

Marc Graner
356 Fan

#4 Post by Marc Graner »

Hey Peter,
If you are around Stuttgart, leave me a message, maybe I
come by with my 356. It's not far to go (1h) from here. Not
Porsche related, but definitely the best factory Museum I have
ever seen is the Mercedes Benz Museum, also in Stuttgart.

Best Regards from Germany - Marc

[albumimg]1038[/albumimg] [albumimg]594[/albumimg]

Debbie Cooper
356 Registry Member

Tourist Delivery

#5 Post by Debbie Cooper »

I have done 3 tourist deliveries, the most recent was a 2001 Boxster S. It is an interesting way to buy a new car and see a bit of Europe. The factory tour will give you an idea of the final assembly process and hopefully the new Museum will finally be done.

To my mind, the downside is that while every other manufacturer that offers tourist delivery programs gives you a discount on the car to encourage your participation in the process, Porsche charges you MORE for the privilege of picking your car up at the factory. You will have to decide if the additional cost is worth it.
Debbie Cooper
'56 S/R Coupe
'60 S90 Roadster
'63 S S/R Coupe